87 Accord DX w/carb

Hi! Lately, when first started, the (cold 30-40F outside air) engine idles very roughly. It will also miss fire occasionally. Just about the time when the thermostat opens, the idle goes to 3500-3750 rpm by itself and will not come down for about 90 seconds (until the engine is further warmed up). However, once the engine *fully* reaches operating temperature, it runs and idles normally. If I turn off the engine before it's fully warmed up, it will diesel (sputter-sputter) for 5-6 seconds before stopping. It will crank but not start for 10-20 minutes if I try to immediately restart it.

It's a mystery to me why it runs normally when at temperature, but has all these problems when cold and is started. Any suggestions appreciated. Ken

Reply to
KenA

In primitive gasoline-powered vehicles before computerized ignition and fuel injectors, this was more common than not!

I think it was an attempt to emulate the behavior of a horse in similar circumstances ...

J.

Reply to
JXStern

Check the intake air preheating system. With regards to the first item, in cold weather a bimetal spring in the air cleaner housing shunts vacuum to a vacuum diaphragm allowing warm air heated from the exhaust manifold to enter the air cleaner. This warm air system is necessary to prevent the carburetor from icing up during cold damp weather. You will also want to check the operation of the choke. The linkage could be sticking or there could be other problems. One such problem could be the choke heater cap gasket. Please see my earlier post at

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Does it have trouble kicking down to its normal idle speed? I have an '88 Accord that had that problem and I eventually tracked it down to a faulty Frequency Valve C. It's a very common problem.

I wasn't sure if you were suffering from this problem but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway

Reply to
Headknocker via CarKB.com