89 Accord intermittent no start with code 14

My son drives our 89 Accord SEI most of the time. He has been getting a check engine light every now and then. He says that when he turns it off and tries to restart, it cranks over but doesn't fire up. He lets it sit for a while and it eventually does. I checked for codes and it has #14 which is listed as "EACV circuit". I removed the EACU and fast idle valve and cleaned them. I reset the computer by removing and replacing the #11 fuse. The code was gone and it fired up and idled and ran great. He drove it again today and had the same problem. I checked the manual. It said to check the impedance between the two terminals on the EACV and that it should be between 8 & 15 ohms ... it's 13. It said to check each terminal for continuity to ground ... should not have it. Neither does. It said to check the plug for batt voltage with key on. It has it. It also clicks when plugging and unplugging with key on. New hoses to it, as well.

I've replaced quite a few parts over the last year. I put in a rebuilt distributor and (O) ring (had the red dust in it and some sideways slack) new cap, rotor, new plugs and wires, new fuel injectors and filter. Did the head gasket, new radiator with cap, all new hoses, even the small ones ..... thermostat, water pump, timing belt, new battery, O2 sensors, rebuilt CV axles, front rotors and pads, rebuilt master cylinder, rebuilt alternator and belt. New (O) ring behind the oil filter mount, new valve cover gasket,camshaft seals and front main seal and a new air filter, motor mounts. I'm sure I've left a few things out but the point being is, that it's not a neglected car.

Any ideas as to what the problem is? I wish I had been there with a spare spark plug to stick into a wire and see if it was getting spark while he was cranking it over. One of those intermittent things that are hard to check after the fact. All I get now, after he has driven it home .... no check engine light but do have the 14 blink code.

Is this a possible wire from the EACV to the computer that has a now and then break, or could it possibly be a bad Main Relay? Would a problem with the relay set a #14 code?

I know that I have more digging around to do and things to check but what do you think so far?

Also, to check connections on the computer, do you have to remove the driver's seat to get at that puppy, or what?

Thanks in advance for any replies .

Forrest.

Reply to
Forrest

Well, answering to my own post. Looks like the driver's seat has to come out to get to the computer. That's good planning by the designers. I tried to get at the Main Relay, which was tucked up so far under the driver's side panel that an over weight cockroach would have a hard time getting in there to take a shit. well up under the dash. Couldn't figure out what to press to get it to release. The electrical plug blocks access to the hold down bolt for the unit. Tried a squeeze here and a painful tug and twist along with a screw driver assisted yank or three, not that I had the room to do any of that. The sun was settin and I gave up on that deal. Doesn't sound like the problem, anyway. I guess I could take the semi-easy way out and hit the wreaking yard and pick a used EAVC and see what happens. There ya go .... just throw more money at it.

But be sure to pick up a few pocket items to help pay your entrance fee.

Reply to
Forrest

Pocket items been there done that. Good advice.

Reply to
Clete

Clete wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If it starts and runs fine in the morning,then,usually on a hot day,starts and quickly dies,then only cranks,then after 15 min or so,starts and runs fine,I bet it's the main relay.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

From what I've been reading about the relay, it sure sounds like it. I'm just wondering about that constant code #14, that is supposed to be the EACV system. Would having a Main Relay problem only, set that code each time?

Reply to
Forrest

Last night after warming it up and shutting it off, I disconnected the EACV plug. I restarted it and set the idle at, what I guessed to be the recommended 650 rpms. To do so, I had to close down the idle air screw about a quarter of a turn. I then shut it off, reconnected the plug, removed the #11 fuse for computer reset .... reinstalled it after a minute and then fired it back up. It ran and idled fine. He drove it today with no check engine light. When he got home, I slid the seat forward and looked for the flashing code light ....nothing.

We shall see. He has had other uneventful days with it , so .... still like the idea of getting that relay out of there and reflowing the solder connections on it. They say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it !" ... but what the hell, as old Ben Franklin said, "a stitch in time save nine". But then again, I guess he drank a quart of whisky a day and didn't know shit about Hondas.

Reply to
Forrest

Problems solved. I replaced the main relay ... fixed the no-start condition. Replaced EACV with a used one from the wrecking yard ... codes gone.

Reply to
Forrest