89 civic si

My SI makes some engine noise between 2500-3200 rpms. When you step on the gas, its like a knocking sort of sound. I thought that i might be the pipe for the exhaust has rusted and popped a hole. The car is
running on 92 octane. Something I can test on my own??
Thanx, Chris.
Shaggz wrote:

Heat shield on exhaust; A-pipe rattle; pinging.
Octane means nothing.
You can check the exhaust yourself by crawling underneath the properly jacked-up car and wiggling/poking/tapping all shields still attached.
Check ignition base timing.
Got a Check Engine light on?
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
TeGGeR wrote:

No check engine light. I don't have a strobe, so checking the timing might be hard..
Can I do that with a fluorescent tube ?

You might be able to rent a timing light.
I can't see a fluorescent tube working. What's its setup? Is it just a hand-held lamp of some kind or can it clip to the spark plug wire?
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

were pretty straightforward, just a large neon bulb in a reflector. I never tried one, but the word was they were only useful in the dark.
Mike
Michael Pardee wrote:

Most only really work /well/ in near-darkness, even the latest xenon-strobe models I've used.
Michael Pardee wrote:

Oh, and in response to TeGGeR: my latest timing light, a very basic xenon-strobe type, I got at a pawn shop for $15. No point in renting if you can find a deal like that :)
Theres an idea.. maybe a stroll through one might be good.
Matt Ion wrote:

I also bought my timing light at a pawn shop, IIRC for $15 as well.
Ebay also often offers perfectly good timing lights at a reasonable price, but they seem to go fast.

Matt Ion wrote:

Elle wrote:

99 cents a good price? :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item &0020438411
Just search for "xenon timing light" - there's a ton listed for various prices. The one above is also listed at an eBay Store for $15 "Buy It Now".

Sure, but I think this is one of those ebay deals where the seller makes his/her money from the shipping charge. It is $12. I see the light finally went for $5 or so.

Anyway, you bet I think Ebay is pretty good for automotive tools. I've bought several using it.