89 civic si

My SI makes some engine noise between 2500-3200 rpms. When you step on the gas, its like a knocking sort of sound. I thought that i might be the pipe for the exhaust has rusted and popped a hole. The car is running on 92 octane. Something I can test on my own??

Thanx, Chris.

Reply to
Shaggz

check the motor mounts.

Reply to
jim beam

"Shaggz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

Heat shield on exhaust; A-pipe rattle; pinging.

Octane means nothing.

You can check the exhaust yourself by crawling underneath the properly jacked-up car and wiggling/poking/tapping all shields still attached.

Check ignition base timing.

Got a Check Engine light on?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I just mentioned the octane to get over the engine knock.

No check engine light. I don't have a strobe, so checking the timing might be hard..

Can I do that with a fluorescent tube ?

Reply to
Shaggz

"Shaggz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

You might be able to rent a timing light.

I can't see a fluorescent tube working. What's its setup? Is it just a hand-held lamp of some kind or can it clip to the spark plug wire?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

In the '70s I used to see neon timing lights for sale, really cheap. They were pretty straightforward, just a large neon bulb in a reflector. I never tried one, but the word was they were only useful in the dark.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Most only really work /well/ in near-darkness, even the latest xenon-strobe models I've used.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Oh, and in response to TeGGeR: my latest timing light, a very basic xenon-strobe type, I got at a pawn shop for $15. No point in renting if you can find a deal like that :)

Reply to
Matt Ion

Theres an idea.. maybe a stroll through one might be good.

Matt I> >

Reply to
Shaggz

I also bought my timing light at a pawn shop, IIRC for $15 as well.

Ebay also often offers perfectly good timing lights at a reasonable price, but they seem to go fast.

"Shaggz" wrote

Matt I> >

Reply to
Elle

99 cents a good price? :)

Just search for "xenon timing light" - there's a ton listed for various prices. The one above is also listed at an eBay Store for $15 "Buy It Now".

Reply to
Matt Ion

Sure, but I think this is one of those ebay deals where the seller makes his/her money from the shipping charge. It is $12. I see the light finally went for $5 or so.

Anyway, you bet I think Ebay is pretty good for automotive tools. I've bought several using it.

Reply to
Elle