'89 Honda Accord AC switch

'89 Honda Accord LXi 3DR MT

About three years ago, pressing the AC switch caused a short which blew out the heater control unit. Easily fixed by replacing the 10 amp fuse. I decided to let the matter rest and ride without AC.

Today I noticed, that pressing the AC switch no longer causes a short, but the compressor will not come on when it would previously when the short occurred.

I recently had the combo-switch (hazzard, turn signals, wiper) go out and was replaced by the a Honda dealer. In replacing this switch, they had an issue with 'some other wire' which was preventing the combo-switch from working properly.

I have no electrical diagram to see if these issues are related, but I was wondering if they could be. I have not checked the harness to the compressor as of yet.

The car only has 141,000 original miles and I'm willing to get the AC fixed if it won't cost an arm and a leg. But I'm probably better off at this point with an new Accord 4 banger

Any comments appreciated.

Tom

Reply to
tom meehan

tom meehan wrote:

Probably cuz it's finally started to leak freon, and the low pressure switch tripped out. Makes me wonder if you didn't have a shorted coil winding or something... Or maybe a wire in that area grounding out.. But... Normally, that would trip the fuse even when not using that device.. So hummmm.. Maybe a bad coil.. ?? Only the shadow knows for sure... :/

That could happen if one was grounding out. But of it were the coil winding, I would think it would not effect that other circuit until the

compressor was used, and blew the fuse.

Sounds like something is kaput along those lines.. But remember to check/jumper the low pressure switch if you get it fixed. You may need to recharge a bit.. But thats just a guess...

Yea, but fixing the A/C is probably cheaper than buying a new car. I just bought a 89 accord LX with 150k miles. It's kinda scary, but being I can work on most of the stuff, that helps. Driving an older car is probably not for someone that never turns a wrench, unless they don't mind the usual repairs needed. My engine runs real well. No smoke, pretty smooth. But I'll have to do an emission test in 2 months. The car "seems" ok in that regard, the circuits seem normal, the cat has some sulfer smell when cold, etc.. But we'll see... If anything scares me, it's a auto tranny breakdown.. That could hurt a bit.. But.. Today I just changed the tranny fluid, and also changed the oil. They were pretty dirty. I plan to do the timing belt, water pump routine pretty soon, as the last belt was at 88k.. It's about due.. I got the a/c working today, but I'll have to see if it leaks.. It probably will a bit, but I found a major leak at the shrader valve.. Maybe that was most of it... ?? We'll see... Anyway, so far all I've got in the car is $800 bucks.. It needs paint, but no dents, and the inside is real clean. No dash cracks or anything. Slap paint on it, and it would look fairly decent. All the gadjits work except the door locks... The cruise, windows, mirrors, etc, etc work. Only a fraction of a new car price, and I only need liability.. I have two old ford trucks too though.. So if the honda did decide to bomb, I've got a backup. MK

Reply to
nm5k