89 Honda Civic Fuel Smell after fill up

Here's my deal. I bought an 89 Honda Civic beater to drive to work. After I fill it up there is a bad gas smell in the passenger compartment and sometimes is a puddle in front of the driver's side rear tire (under the fill tube). I pulled the tank and replaced all of the fuel lines and clamps and checked the fuel pump gasket. I also pulled the entire fill tube assembly, attached it to the tank and did a visual leak test....nothing. Any ideas? Thanks

Reply to
oeman

Sounds like you have a positive-pressure inside the tank for some reason and it's pushing fuel out somewhere. As a test... can you remove the gas cap after you park the vehicle next time. See if the leak goes away. Of course you must use your cap when you drive... but it may give some insight as to the root cause.

Professor

Professor

I had a similar problem with the odor and small build-up of fuel at the spare tire. I finally had to replace the cross-over (metal tubing) that allows for the rubber hoses to connect thru located near to the fuel filter, "adjacent to the fuel tank" Your having liquid fuel puddling near the exhaust can be a real potential problem in so far and a fire and explosion. I see that you have been thorough in replacing all that you could to this point. Good Luck, be safe too! Ern

Reply to
spencer4132