89' prelude not shifting properly

I have an 89 prelude si with an automatic transmission that will not shift into third.....while it is cold it won't shift past second gear,...after it
warms it shifts directly into fourth from second....will it require a teardown to fix?...
M&D wrote:

I'm not sure about that version of Prelude, but on some 4th-gen Accords (1990-93), those are symptoms of a failing tranny control unit (TCU). The tranny itself is usually OK.
Thanks....I'll price one...Is it inside the transmission ?.

Michael Pardee wrote:

On my '88 Prelude the TCU is under the carpet about where the passenger's left toes would be. You might even notice a little flap of carpet there kept in place by a strip of Velcro. You can peel that back and have a look at the light-emitting diode which flashes if the module detects an error. Watch the lamp while turning the ignition to the On position. Count the flashes. Any number greater than zero means the TCU has detected a problem (external to itself).
If your S3 indicator on the dash is not flashing (and I'm sure you would have mentioned it), you might still have a failure indication stored in the computer.
-- Chuck