'90 Accord EX

I bought my car about 2.5 yrs ago and it has broken down a few times, mostly suspension parts needing to be replaced and it has a bit of rust in the "honda spot" but thats about all that is wrong with it. It has been very reliable and nice for $1780 and I bought it with only 97,000 miles on it. The clutch has been nice to me considering I beat the shit out of it too. haha...

About a month or so ago, I started experiencing a loss in brake pressure at the pedal for some reason. I will be sitting at a stop light and the pedal will slowly start sinking in under the pressure my foot supplies. Does anyone know anything about what it could be. I would much rather fix it myself then pay to have someone else over charge me for labor to fix it. I was thinking it might be the master cylender, but I hope it isn't. Has anyone experienced this before?

Also, does anyone know where I can get some factory specs on this car, I want to figure out what kind of gas mileage I should be getting with it and other things.

Reply to
Zach

"Zach" wrote

This is indeed symptomatic of a failing master cylinder. See

and google for other commentary using {sinking pedal brake symptom}. It's really not safe to drive. Have it replaced. MC's fail.

I average 40+ mpg with my 1.5 liter manual transmission 91 Civic, 177k miles.

Reply to
Elle

Zach wrote in news:Xns97D9CFE45F58Ekornkid307msncom@204.127.204.17:

Then you're beating the shit out of your tranny bearings, too. That's horrendously expensive. Also you're increasing the chance of a spring popping out of the clutch disc, which will strand you. Clutch replacements are about $600-$800.

Learn to shift properly.

It's the master cylinder! Eventually it will go the floor all the time, so get it fixed soon.

The MC is simple and relatively cheap to replace. Here's a tutorial:

Owner Manuals:

(you don't have to log in for the Owner Manauls) Mileage:

TeGGeR®

"TeGGeR®" wrote in news:Xns97D9E391CBAA0tegger@207.14.116.130:

I do know how to drive properly, I just enjoy the speed and adrenalin. I've been taking care of it really well for the 2.5 yrs I've had it too. Thanks for the thoughts and the guide tips though...

Reply to
Zach

master cylinder. not that expensive to replace, and easy enough to do if you follow the procedure in the book. regular replacement of the brake fluid helps prolong m/c life considerably.

Reply to
jim beam

Zach wrote in news:Xns97D9E26CC3200kornkid307msncom@204.127.204.17:

You can enjoy the speed and adrenalin without banging the clutch out and slipping it at lights. Banging and slipping is incompetence, not enjoyment.

In fact, the quickest driving is done SMOOTHLY, like winning race driver Jackie Stewart often said.

Reply to
TeGGeR®