90 accord LX won't restart but 15 minuts later starts fine.

This has hapened 4 times over a period of about 4 months. The car is around normal operating temperature. Turn off the engine. Come back in a few nimutes and it won't start. The starter turns over the engine
normally but there is not so much as a sputter. Sort of sounds like no spark. At least there is gas in the tank and it runs normally later. I have a Haynes manual and did some checking in the electrical section. There two 20 amp fuses. #27 goes to the ignition switch which a month ago I swear measured 1.5K ohms so replaced it. Maybe I measured wrong. The car restarted fine for a month so I thought I had it beat. This morning same problem and again it restarted after 15 minutes wait. It's hard to fix something which only fails once a months and stays froken for 15 minutes. Any ideas???
robert sheldon wrote:

google is your friend. this problem comes up on this group weekly.
I would say faulty main relay.

Thanks for both of the speedy replies. Google steared me to a bunch of good info. It seems that it might be a bad main relay or perhaps an intermitant ignition module. As it only hapens once a month or so I will probably never catch it when I have the facilities to test it. The best move seems just to change the main relay and hope it never happens again. So I have just 2 questions. Where is the main relay located? Secondly, there were several references to the igniter. Must be some part of a solid state ignition system but what is it?
robert sheldon wrote:

it's the main relay. just replace or resolder. check out tegger.com for details on how to do it. don't worry about the igniter - it doesn't give intermittent faults.

I'm no expert, but I'm not so sure the ignitor doesn't produce intermittents. My daughter's '93 Accord was giving her intermittent trouble, especially on starting. I resoldered the main relay - still intermittent. I replaced the main relay and there was only one more intermittent before the ignitor died completely (a week or two later, IIRC). No more since then. But at least she has a new main relay now, and that's a good thing. And I agree - the main relay is the way to bet.
Mike

Thanks again.
Bob
robert sheldon wrote:

Search this group for more confirmation. When it won't start, turn the key to position II, and smack the dash with your fist. You'll hear the fuel pump run for two seconds. Start car. The vibration will keep it going.
'Curly'

My wife drives this one to work. I thik I'd better save this trick for an emergency. Thanks