90 accord mystery speed sensor

okay, here we go this is wild I know. My sister in law brought her accord 156,000 miles, over tonight because the speedometer and tach were not functioning and a flashing s appering. After several searches and what not I determined the culprit to be the speed sensor. I looked at the one presently under the hood and noticed that someone had done a poor job previously replacing, and they just direct wired and did away with the plug system, the wires were loose and held together with electrical tape. Got a sensor from a local shop, installed and made the wiring proper. Now when you turn the key on the car will not shift out of park without pushing in the lock release inside, nor do the automatic seatbelts work, the power windows will not work, the tach and the speedometer do not work either. Is it possible that something had shorted when I was checking the wiring for the speed sensor. The break lights do work and you get the click noise when stepping on the break. Power locks work fine. Everything except what listed works just fine any ideas on what to do to get this fixed? Thanks in advance...mike

Reply to
mike

oh yeah and upon further inspection the turn signals are not working as well. Is there a wire in the area I was in, that could be causing these problems? Checked all fuses multiple times cleaned etc.

Reply to
mike

anyone watching this thread? Well found a short going to the fusebox (inside fusebox) and well that solved all of the previously listed problems with one exception the spedometer does not function, and just put that need speed sensor in...any suggestions

Reply to
mike

Mike, no replys do not necessarily mean no one is reading. Much more likely: no one has any good ideas!

Reply to
Brian Stell

sounds good brian I was just getting frustated with the situation. I put it all back together with the old speed sensor took the new one back because I was in a pinch and paid 136 so once that wasn't the problem got the cash back. My sister in law drove it to work this morning and out to lunch and she said now the speedometer works again. So I believe there is a short in the orange or yellow wire, one pegged

5 volts and the other was around 0.6 volts. So I'll check the wiring again on Sunday.
Reply to
mike