'90 Accord, tire rotation how often?

Hi all, I have a '90 Honda Accord with Michelin Roadhandler tires. The tires were last rotated about 3,000 miles ago. After how many miles should tires
generally be rotated?
Thanks, Josh

I'd go with the advice of the tire shop. Apparently rotation is not even popular in some areas and posts from the UK often suggest we are daft for doing it. Most people who rotate tires do it every 5-10K miles. There is no doubt the front tires wear faster on front wheel drive vehicles, but the non-rotators just replace the front pair when they wear out. I have to agree that rotation is like daylight saving time: it was invented by somebody who cut a foot off one end of his blanket and sewed it on the other to make the blanket longer.
Mike
Michael Pardee wrote:

there's a lot of validity to that argument - the tires wear a "sense" into themselves, particularly the fronts on hondas, and changing direction of rotation can have a significant impact on wet braking/cornering. if you must rotate, do it front to rear. if you must cross, do it at the rear only, not the front, i.e. bring the rears to the front keeping sides and put the fronts to the rear crossing over.

yup!
if anything, it is arguably worse if the tire is re-wearing its sense at each rotation.

There is no

While I agree with the Idea of this part of your statement; I do see flaws. Not all cars eat up tires at a rate that makes it worth while to only replace the worn tires. What if you do get the 50,000 mile warrantee out of a tire (without rotating them) and it took 5 years. Now the rear tires are in OK shape but are aged. So we put the new on the rear, but the old on the front and try to wear them out before the age wears takes them out.
Rotate tires every 6000-10000, at your convenience, or if wear makes it sooner.
--
Stephen W. Hansen
ASE Certified Master Automobile Technician

Many dealers rotate every other oil change.
Don't expect new-car life out of your tires. Your shocks and bushings will be worn enough to place extra vibrational load on the tires. Frequent rotation will help, especially if you don't have directionals, and can rotate diagonally.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Pin Geek wrote:

    OK. Everybody pay attention now. Here comes some wisdom from an old guy (56). An old guy who has been in the tire 'bidness' since high school (class of '68).     In order to make your tires last the longest time, and to have all four of them wear out at the same time, you MUST:
    1. Get a tread depth gauge and learn how to use it to find the depth of tread remaining on your tires to the nearest thirty second of an inch.     2. When the DIFFERENCE between the fronts and the rears is 1/32nd. move the front to the back. Keep the tires on the same side of the car. You will probably notice that your front tires wear at 1/32nd. every 5000 miles.     3. Become familiar with the symptoms of a car that is out of alignment, tires that are out of balance, or tires that are suffering a factory defect or low pressure from a small hole.     4. Check your tires for wear and pressure every 5000 miles, and follow the rules above.
        You can thank me later. bob
Thanks Bob!
Josh http://www.pingeek.com pinball stuff

OK, but why would I care if they wear out at the same time?

This certainly would tend to make them wear out at the same time.

This is a Good Thing. But you forgot the pressure gauge.

A visual check every time you drive, or once a day, or at least whenever you fuel, is better. If you look at them regularly, you'll usually notice if one is going low. Check with a pressure gauge at least once a month. The actual pressure is important, but having them at the same pressure or an appropriate differential for the car, is more important.

On a car with similar tires on front and rear, you just change the pair that wear out faster. Change the other pair when they wear out. Put the newer ones where the wear is faster.
You're less likely to have two tires go at the same time (bad road), and spread the pain of the expense when one goes out before its time.
JMHO.

Doug McCrary wrote:

So you can replace them all at the same time, minimizing needed trips to the tire shop and related downtime. Especially good if your tire dealer ever has buy-three-get-one-free sales or gives other sorts of discounts for having the full set done (free balancing, perhaps).
Virus Database (VPS): 0535-3, 09/02/2005

Oh, OK. I could see that. My dealer has been around almost as long as I have, and does great work, which they stand behind. I know the guy working on my vehicle, most of the time. Generally their prices are near or better than anyone else. Balancing is included with mounting. Sorry if you don't have a great shop like that in your own area. (They do big-rig tires, too.)