90 Civic SI head gasket

I am looking at buying a 1990 Civic SI. The owner told me that the rad broke (plastic) and the head gasket went after that. Does this mean that the engine probably over heated ? Are there other problems that I should look out for?

Terry

Reply to
Terry Rohrke

Terry Rohrke wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Not necessarily. Head gaskets will eventually fail even if never abused. You don't say how many miles on this car. But so long as the gasket replacement was done properly, you should be OK.

Reply to
TeGGer®

My sons '94 went at 80,000. Not sure if it was clogged radiator and over heating that did it, but I replaced the radiator with a better cooling one and a new HG, and she's been fine since (95k on it now). We never ran it hot, replaced it pronto. Work was done by a trusted mechanic at AAMCO. Like the other person mentioned, as long as it was addressed early, and not run in that state, it should be fine.

I'd ask who did the work and a receipt if they have it.

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man