91 Accord transmission question

The transmission (auto) is getting difficult to shift into drive from park. The car was just through a bit of a flood that killed the ECU but that is fixed and this was a problem before that happened.
I guess I need to bring it into a transmission shop to check out but I know nothing about what to check on my own for this. I'm trying to decide if I need to get a new(er) car.

Do you mean it is hard to move the selector from Park to Drive, or that the tranny doesn't want to get going even though the selector moved okay?
Mike
On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 05:40:03 -0700, "Michael Pardee"

Hard to physically shift. It works fine once it gets in gear. I might have to pull it two or three times but it always has moved.
dgk wrote:

    Time for a shift cable. Common on these cars. bob

Sounds easy. Then I keep the car. The exhaust is noisy but that's likely because I used a cheap exhaust system.
dgk wrote:

A guy on hondasuv.com had this problem (with a CR-V), and I've seen a TSB about rust / dryness in the linkage where the shifter cable goes into the tranny. He removed the cover plate and lubed it all up. I don't know if you have a similar removable plate. Since that part was sitting in water, maybe that's all you need. If you live in a cold climate be sure to use a lube that won't get too stiff in the cold.
'Curly'
dgk wrote:

One possibility: Have someone check to see if your brake lights come on when you press the brake pedal before attempting to shift out of Park. If the lights don't come on and you can't shift out of Park, the problem is a worn stop lamp switch. This problem is not unusual for this version of Accord.