91 civic corrosion of rotor button

Hello all,
I was helping a friend recently with his 91 civic sedan (D15 engine code I think). The car wouldn't start so we went through the ususal things and
finally arrived at the distributor. The contacts were corroded and we cleaned them as a temporary fix. Car started right up. I suggested he repalce the plugs, wires, cap and rotor button as a precaution. The cap and rotor contacts were badly corroded. A couple of days later he had replaced everything and the car ran fine for about three or four months.
Yesterday he called me because the car wouldn't start again. Again we pulled the distributor cap to find that the new rotor button and contacts on the cap were corroded. Though not as bad as the first time. Still they were corroded bad enough that the car wouldn't start.
Why would these parts corrode that fast? We do live in a high-humidity environment, but his is the only example of this I've seen. Is there some sort of seal on the distributor cap that we missed? There wasn't one on it to begin with, but that could have been ham-fisted by a previous owner.
This one is real a head scratcher for me. Any suggestions are appreciated or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mike
There is an O-ring that fits into the channel of the distributor cap. The distributor cap should have come with one.

Thanks, I thought there might have been something like that. I'm sure the cap was a cheap aftermarket unit and it may not have had one. I'll check that and see. He'll be calling me again soon I'm sure.
Thanks a million
Mike

Bad boy, D'Funk.
You have posted two separate messages to two separate groups with the same subject. (rec.autos.makers.honda is the other one)
Not only can neither side see how the thread has evolved, but posters in one can't be educated by messages in the other, and cannot correct mistakes in the other messages.
You should have cross-posted.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Sorry, Sometimes people in other groups get mad if you do cross post. They say it attracts spammers. Next time I'll cross post it for auto groups....<blush>.