91 Civic runs poorly in low gears

Hello,
My Son bought a 91 Honda Civic with miles on it. It has been running for about 6 months OK. He just replaced the brake pads. The car started to run very badly in low gears. When he is 3rd or 4 gear
the problem is not so pronounced. I checked 3 spark plugs and they looked OK. One spark plug I was unable to remove. I think the hex bolt may be stripped? I will try and use a smaller socket. If not I will have to remove the top cover. I checked the air filter and it looked OK. The distributer is a module. I checked with AutoZone a local auto store. Most cars today have an on board CPU box. They said they could not help. I could not see any gas filters. Any Ideas as what I can do for trouble shooting?
Thank You
Philip
:cry:
New brakes, then poor performance??? Maybe the brakes are dragging. Take a short moderate drive and see if any wheels are hot. Dan
(This account is not used for email.)
Philip3 ( snipped-for-privacy@AutoForumz.com) writes:

Like Dan Beaton said...

Define "badly".
Low power? Stumbling and hesitation? Stalling? Rough, jerky operation?
Is it an automatic?

It's a 5/8" socket. Get a flashlight and look down the tube.

The distributor comtains the coil and igniter, as well as all three Hall- Effect sensors used by the ECU.

That's because the '91 is not OBD-II. You check for error codes by watching either the red light on the ECU, or the Check Engine light, I forget which.

Like chris said.
If you have an automatic, it's under the EGR box on the firewall.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
The fuel filter is located on the firewall. Passenger side.

http://www.autoforumz.com/Honda-91-Civic-runs-poorly-low-gears-ftopict129592.html
http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pc1600

Buy a Haynes or other shop manual specific for your model,about $20 at most auto parts stores like Autozone or Pepboys.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik