91 Civic runs poorly in low gears

Hello,

My Son bought a 91 Honda Civic with miles on it. It has been running for about 6 months OK. He just replaced the brake pads. The car started to run very badly in low gears. When he is 3rd or 4 gear the problem is not so pronounced. I checked 3 spark plugs and they looked OK. One spark plug I was unable to remove. I think the hex bolt may be stripped? I will try and use a smaller socket. If not I will have to remove the top cover. I checked the air filter and it looked OK. The distributer is a module. I checked with AutoZone a local auto store. Most cars today have an on board CPU box. They said they could not help. I could not see any gas filters. Any Ideas as what I can do for trouble shooting?

Thank You

Philip

:cry:

Reply to
Philip3

New brakes, then poor performance??? Maybe the brakes are dragging. Take a short moderate drive and see if any wheels are hot. Dan

(This account is not used for email.)

Philip3 ( snipped-for-privacy@AutoForumz.com) writes:

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Dan Beaton

Philip3 wrote in news:1_631600 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com:

Like Dan Beat> The

Define "badly".

Low power? Stumbling and hesitation? Stalling? Rough, jerky operation?

Is it an automatic?

It's a 5/8" socket. Get a flashlight and look down the tube.

The distributor comtains the coil and igniter, as well as all three Hall- Effect sensors used by the ECU.

That's because the '91 is not OBD-II. You check for error codes by watching either the red light on the ECU, or the Check Engine light, I forget which.

Like chris said.

If you have an automatic, it's under the EGR box on the firewall.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

The fuel filter is located on the firewall. Passenger side.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

chris

Philip3 wrote in news:1_631600 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com:

Buy a Haynes or other shop manual specific for your model,about $20 at most auto parts stores like Autozone or Pepboys.

Reply to
Jim Yanik