91 civic timing belt broke

Timing belt snapped on the Civic with I think the 1300 motor. I was just backing out of my driveway and it quit. Mechanic wants 700 bux just to install the belt. tensioner.waterpump.
Says interference motor so probaly bent some valves and if so to pull the head if it doesn't run with new belt thats another 700. I only paid a thousand for it. Seems crazy to spend 1400 more. I do like the car and it has pretty low miles. What would you folks do? I can get 350 for it at salvage thanks
daniel peterman wrote:

loose, you've bent a valve.
you can buy a whole new motor for US$300, used japanese import.
Thanks Jim I never thought of just checking for bent valves that way. I'm gonna try that today.
On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 07:11:32 -0800, jim beam wrote:

Just out of curiosity... What is the approximate weight of these motors?

300 pounds.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 13:06:58 +0000, Tegger wrote:

Thanks. That's not so much. Good to know if I ever find my CRX... ;-)