91 civic wipers

Hey Everybody! I am having a hell of a time with the wipers on my civic. They are cycling way to far. They will hit the windshield moldingson the side and then the cover at the bottom of the windshield. Seems to be a fair bit of excessive play in them. I have already changed the motor and the linkage.Still have the problem. Any thoughts on this? Driving me crazy when it rains!

Reply to
Jay

"Jay" wrote in news:S81ng.6295$B91.2769@edtnps82:

What part of the linkage? It consists of several links. Methinks you have replaced only one part and the others are severely worn.

Question: When the wipers are at the top of their stroke, how much overlap do you observe in the middle at the top? Does the passenger wiper overtravel and overlap the driver's, or does it stop slightly short, leaving a sort of widow's peak?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I replaced the main linkage and not the part the actual wiped blade arms bolt to.The passenger side blade hits the edge of the hood and cowl cover. The drivers side hits the cowl cover and the upper side windshield molding.I am suspecting it has to be the actual part the arms bolt too. There isn't much left to change. Good thing I have a few parts cars!

Reply to
Jay

Yes, it could be the wiper pivots. However, it could also be the motor. You'll need to find out where the excessive free play is go from there. To test the wiper pivots, grab the wiper arm and try to move it left to right across and back and forward. If you get much movement, then new pivots are called for. Oftentimes, you can even see the groove that the shaft has worn into them if you take them apart (only after you've put new ones on of course). Your symptom seems unusual though, and unless the pivots are totally shot, then I would carefully go over the motor and linkage.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

I realize this may sound facetious but I don't mean it to be wise-ass. Did you check to be sure you have the correct wiper arms and blades? That can also affect wiper travel. Sometimes we overlook the simple. Voice of experience.

Dave D

Reply to
Dave and Trudy

I am going to change the wiper pivots today and see if that solves the problem.Thats the only thing left to change! I will keep yah posted.

Reply to
Jay

Replaced everything! Not quite as bad but still there. I am am thinking It may be the multi switch on the steer collum. It goes through this funky park position after I turn them off.

Reply to
Jay

switch doesn't control park, it's the integrated control unit in the back of the under-dash fuse panel. i had problems with the icu in my '89.

Reply to
jim beam

"Jay" wrote in news:kp4ng.70504$I61.32040@clgrps13:

Is this the one from motor to driver? And with new or used? Used is not reliable as the nylon cup in the used one is likely just as worn.

and not the part the actual wiped blade

If the link from motor to driver's wiper is NEW, and if the driver's wiper is hitting the cowl, then the connecting link that goes between the wipers is bad. Grab the driver's and the passengers and try to rotate them relative to each other. If there's more than a trace of movement, the connecting link is in need of replacement.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"Dave and Trudy" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.acsalaska.net:

Hey, good call. I once had a glass shop swap my driver's and passenger wiper arms around, causing exactly this. It was obvious on closer inspection, as the wiper rubbers did not sit parallel with the bottom of the windshield when parked.

Reply to
TeGGeR®