91 Honda Accord Oil leak Problem

Hi,

My 91 Honda Accord seems leaking oil from the cap.I can see the oil splash all over the engine surface, particullary near the cap. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tom

Reply to
songtao32

Have the valve cover gaskets ever been replaced?

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

help? do you want someone to come over and clean it up for you? or do you want a suggestion on how to fix it?

Reply to
jim beam

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1166905868.986602.310880 @f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

With age, the cap gasket gets compressed and hard, and it is difficult to keep it tight. Get a new cap from the dealer, about $20.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns98A2BB6514279tegger@207.14.116.130:

What can also happen (now that I think of it) is the valve cover nut gaskets going missing. Have you had the valve cover removed recently?

Reply to
Tegger

Or they harden and do not work properly, leaking oil. (I forgot this one, too!)

Reply to
Elle

There's a rubber gasket in the cap that seals it to the valve cover, refer to part #6 in this diagram

On older cars, theseoften become hard and brittle and fail to seal. If you haven't had a valveadjustment in a while, usually every 30 K miles, then it might be a goodtime to get that done and replace all of the gaskets, #'s 3, 4, & 9. In thecase that your valve adjustment was recent, then it could be leaking becausesometimes mechanics will try to reuse the old parts even though their not inserviceable condition. Eric

Reply to
Eric