91 Honda Accord : some white smoke on startup

I have a 91 Honda Accord (automatic, 2.2 L I believe). I have a little white smoke on startup, which goes away within a couple of seconds. I take it this
is coolant.
My questions are:
1) What are the possible causes? I know a bad head gasket is one, and a cracked block is another. Anything else? [Something nicer? :-P ]
2) What can I do to help the situation, assuming I don't want to put a lot of money/work into the engine?
Thanks in advance, -- R Flowers

sniff of the smoke will tell you if it is coolant or oil, which I think is at least as likely. Coolant smells sweet while oil smoke just smells funky. (Technical term.)
Oil smoke on startup is usually a symptom of worn valve seals. They can be replaced for a modest amount of money, but lotsa people just live with it. Coolant seepage seen at startup is more ominous, because it generally progresses to bigger head gasket problems. There isn't much to be done about that unless you want to try your luck with the sealants that can be put in the coolant. But first determine if it really is coolant smoke.
Mike

If you've actually got coolant in your exhaust, your head gasket is GONE! Not gettin' there, but GONE.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

You sure it's white? Have somebody take a whiff of it next time. Coolant is sweet. Does your coolant level in the reservoir drop over time?
Right now it's most likely the valve guide oil seals.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

I have not yet checked the coolant level. From what I can tell, the smoke does NOT smell like coolant, nor does the smoke have that 'wispy' look that condensation has. However, I have not had the opportunity to be right at the exhaust pipe while having someone crank. It might be the oil. I will check it out.
Thanks, guys.
-- R Flowers