91 honda does not run daytime. :)

hello all,
I am working on a friends car. I think i need some wiring diagram for this intermitent problem.
The car does not start when it is sunny(hot outside). At nights it is
hard to run but it runs. When it runs, i start to get "S" sport mode of transmision blinking after some time of driving.
what i did so far: changed distributor twice (lifetime waranty), wires and plugs. I went to junk yard and get 3 different main relay. it looks like no help.
I checked fuel.I always get fuel. It is not contant flow but more like a spray every half second. It is strong.
I checked spark: most ofthe time i donot have any spark but once a while I see a spark in one of the plugs and car responds properly like it will run if she has a chance.
My starter rotates the engine relatively slow to other cars, but it is always like that to begin with.
My guess is there is a problem with the ignition system. can you help me out with this. what controls the ignition system on this cars. Does it have any component out of the distributor.
I have almost same problem (I posted a message today in this group)...but, no idea why it happens...Please let me know if you find solution...thanks
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

sounds like main relay.

which model honda is this?

every single main relay i've ever pulled from a junk yard has had the telltale solder cracking you'll see described in the faq's. either re-solder or buy new. go to tegger.com and the diagnostics/repairs will all be outlined.

Did you pull the diagnostic codes?

hello all, I clean the contacts of two relay and resolder them, Nothing changed at the end. What i plan to do tommorrow is to short the circuit and get rid of the main relay. It should show me if it is the problem or not. I will update you as soon as i get anything. thanks guys.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

shorting the circuit is only a problem if you don't mind dying in a searing fireball as your electric fuel pump continues to spray gas into the flames. the relay is there so that if the engine stops running, [as happens in accidents] the fuel supply cuts off before any severe damage occurs.
as was suggested by eugene, pull the codes from the ecu & get back to us.
how can i read the codes?
I know to read the codes on some other cars but this is my first honda.
I will short the connectors for a couple of minutes just to see if the problem is the relay?
Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

under the passenger carpet. go to tegger.com for the code list.

don't ask me - i've already told you what i think about this. besides, which of the 7 leads do you want to short out?

my codes are 7 8 and 12.
I shorted 1-3 and 5-7. Suprizingly i did not help. However, I put one of the relays in freezer for half hour. It run 10 times in a row without hessitaion. Tommoorw I will get a new relay.
PS: I stop trying at 10 because My starter died... :)
jim beam wrote:

I changed the main relay, play with the distributor and car looks fine.
I notice another problem though. The car is fine till i reach 40 mph. After that point I start to get "s" warning like sport mode. IT continiously flashes. I tried to read the code but it does not have any code now. In my first stry i get 7 8 and 12.
I have the engine check codes and they are notrelated to the trasmision.
questions?
do you have any list of transmision codes.
what might be the problem, if you hve I would like the location of parts. please. thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

re-set the ecu [pull the hazard fuse from the main box under the hood] and read the codes again. it should give you the numbers of any problems. any past codes not registering are no longer problems.
apart from the flashing light, what other problem symptoms do you have?
i reset the computor. i comfirm that no code is stored. I drive it for 30 minuds. in first 5 minutes nothign went wrong. later it start to flash. It keept flashing. I count the number of shifts and comfirm that it shifts to 4th gear. I read the code. it says 9 many many tmes. (is it camshaft posistion sensor problem?) on highway, it reaches 60 easily with 3000 rpm. I donot feel any slippage.
For what its worth this what my manual says:
Code 9 - Check the CYL sensor and circuit.
To check the CYL sensor, disconnect the ignition harness at the distributor and probe terminals D and H with an ohmmeter - a good reading is between 260 to 500 ohms.
Check for continuity to ground on each terminal. Continuity should not exist.
If the above test results above are incorrect - Replace the distributor unit.

this is my second remanufactured distributor in last 3 weeks. The code i red not from "check engine" sign but through "s" sport mode light.
I will try it what you say and let you know.
PS: would you mind telling me which one is D and H as well as which connector you are talking about. (there are 3 connectors on the distributor.)
My mistake, what I gave you was for a check engine code. I believe if your S light is blinking that's an indicator that you got something going on with your transmission. My manual doesn't have those codes. What you might try is http://www.honda-tech.com and use there search engine.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

Stop shopping at AutoZone. Bad for your health.

Error code 9: Lockup clutch not engaging, because 1) A/T speed pulser disconnected or wire broken, or 2) A/T speed pulser defective.
By the way, please learn how to spell, capitalize, and punctuate. You would be easier to understand that way. Is English not your first language?
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Bingo,
I want to thank you all guys.
It is 10 pm here. I found the location of the pulsar from web. I went down to check if there is any visible problem there. :)
There is no wire connecting pulsar to the connector. Mr. Squirrel chewed it up. I will put in a new one in a couple of days and let you know.
Thanks.
PS: English is not my native language so I asked Bill Gates to check for my grammar and spelling.