91 prelude dash gauges dead turn indicaters glowing

My Niece has a 91 Prelude, about a week after the stereo installers got done with it, all gauges (tach, fuel and temp) are at the low end of their scales and the turn signal and high beam indicators are half light, untill you turn on the high beams, then the high beam indicator goes out..... My conclusion: lost a ground to the IP. A .pdf manual I found on line shows the above mentioned items are on a common ground buss that hits the body (firewall) behind the dash in the center of the car. Is anyone familiar with this, before I spend x amount of time gaining access to the ground wires behind the stereo?????? Thanks for any insight to this problem!!

Reply to
randy

definitely sounds like a grounding problem. why not take it back to the stereo monkeys & make them fix it? they broke it.

Reply to
jim beam

well, as luck would have it, it happened 2 weeks after the stereo was installed... She took it somewhere, (probably not the stereo shop, not sure) and they couldn't find the problem.... I'm an electronics tech, used to taking care of pc's, plc's and remote controls for things like load tap changer transformers, capacitor bank controls for electrical substations, irrigation controls, for pumps and gates to control canal flows and levels etc. data and telecom, pbx phone switches, two-way radio systems etc. .... I just hate to work on cars, even my own!!!!(did thousands of two-way and mobile phones 25 years ago!! But I figure the guy I would take it to (if I ever took my stuff anywhere for repair) doesn't like it either, and it's not his car!!! So I fix my own stuff!!! I just don't pretzel under a dash like I used to!!!

Reply to
randy

at least you sound like you know what you'll be doing! if the prelude's like my civics, it's pretty easy to strip down without too much pretzel factor.

Reply to
jim beam