92 Accord balance shaft seized

The 92 Accord balance shaft seized 20K kms after a timing belt replacement When it happened a while ago and I ended up having the balance shaft disabled by my mechanic (paid again to access the area) , I did not realize it at the time but now going through my records I noticed that during the timing belt job he also replaced balance shaft seal and the retainer. My question is whether the seizure had anything to do with a sloppy job that the mechanic did. My gut feeling is that he screwed up but I would like to know what people on this group think? I have a 97 CRV @150K km and I do not want to make the same mistake again by having him to do the job. Judging also from the fact that he charged me CDN $225+tax labor for changing 4 stabilizer links, eight bolts in total, on my 97 CRV, I think he is not as honest as I thought initially. Thanks.

Reply to
Dario Moreno

Dario Moreno wrote: Judging also from the fact that he

I was surpassed at the cost of the parts when I did the two links on the front of my '92 Accord. You can get an estimate for the same work at another place to check his cost.

As for the balance shaft, I have never heard of a problem there. bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

very high probability. the shaft just rotates - it doesn't do any "work", so there's nothing mechanical to screw it up. he probably munged the retainer.

wise.

some of the stabilizer links are expensive if they have the integrated swivel joints, but if they were just for the rubber donuts, that was /way/ too expensive.

shop about for someone else. i don't mind paying a little extra for competence.

Reply to
jim beam