92 Accord Died

Just driving down the road and died. I took the oil cap off and looked at the lifters while turning it over and they turned. Rules out the timing belt. My guess is now the fuel pump or fuel filter. Any quick easy way to test this while parked at a gas station in the middle of BFE!?!

Thanks

Reply to
Shredder

Also, where is the pump and filter on a 92. I have a manual at home, but not with me currently.

Reply to
Shredder

Where is BFE? I've heard of BFI (Buttf*** Idaho), but BFE?

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Did you try starting it again after it died? If it started up again OK, then it's strongly possible the igniter or the ignition switch is bad.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Bum F*** Egypt

Reply to
Shredder

Yes, tried several times to restart it with no luck. Although, It has refused to start a few times in the recent past and if left sit for a while would start right up. Never has died while driving though. Most of the time right after I would stop somewhere and then come back out to start it.

Reply to
Shredder

My '91 Accord died on me twice while driving down the road... I believe it was the ignition coil both times.

The refusing to start until cooling down is probably the infamous master relay 'dry sockets'

Reply to
Messiah Lounge

The most likely cause is the main relay. It's faily common on the early '90's. The relay is a double relay. The first relay supply's a only couple of seconds of power to the fuel pump to get the engine started. After it starts a second relay feed power to the fuel pump. I believe it was done this way for safety reasons. If the engine stops the second relay is not energized, no power to the fuel pump.

A more definitive symptom for the relay would be that the problem occurs mostly during very warm (sitting in the sun for a while) or very cold days. The temperature swing causes one or more bad solder joints in the relay to open a little, breaking contact. It seems that many people actually have the problem while refueling at the gas station. The car was fine when they pulled in but started and died when trying to leave. After a couple of minutes (maybe a little longer) it will usually start and run fine as the relay has cooled off a little.

The relay can be replaced or the soldier joints can be re-soldered to correct the problem.

Here's a link to a great site to identify and fix the main relay

NomoreRGS

Hey! I used to live there too!!!!

Reply to
HPGrn

This is similar to what happened to my 93 Accord. In my case I was referred to

which gave me the solution suggested above. Alan C

Reply to
Alan Combellack

When the car stops acts up again, check for spark. If there is no spark it's probably the coil. If there is spark then there is probably no fuel and most likely the main relay is the problem.

Had to resolder my main relay joints on my '91 Accord a few years ago. It's been fine ever since.

The link I had for the main relay fix no longer works

.I found and posted another like for the fix in my previous post.There are a few around here's one with a great picture of a crack andhow to resolder the relay.http://techauto.tripod.com/mainrelay.htm

Reply to
NomoreRGS

I haven't seen intermittent coils - they tend to just die, usually because they short. I'd go for the igniter, which has a reputation for flaking out before they die.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Your absolutely correct about the coil. I have experienced a intermittent coil (not the Accord) and it is rare that it happens. I should have though more about the odds of the coil being intermittent. The car is known to have some igniter and ignition switch failures.

Reply to
NomoreRGS

My last (distributor/ignition) coil died intermittently. This was in 2003. My car started stalling at stop signs. A few days later, it stalled completely. The independent Honda shop to which I took it said it was the jury-rigged way I'd fixed the rotor several months before. Uh huh. So they put a new distributor housing on with new rotor. I drive off. A mile down the road, the car feels like it's going to stall again. I think, "hiccup." About ten days later it dies completely again. This time the shop checks the coil. It's aged.

Tom and Ray of Car Talk, for one, discuss how, when the coil is getting near death, it can act up according to temperature. Close to death, one can get away with letting the engine cool down and so squeeze a little more life out of the coil.

"NomoreRGS" wrote

Reply to
Elle