92 Accord Distributer

my 92 accord starting making a rubbing kind of sound under the hood. I think I narrowed it down to the distributor. Took the cap off and discovered the rotor was kind of sloppy fitting. Assumed it was worn and replaced it and the cap. The new rotor also has some slop in it. I don't ever remember it fitting that loosely. Any thoughts? I can literally wobble it back and forth a 1/4 inch on the shaft. Did my distributor shaft shrink!?!

Reply to
Brian

"Brian" wrote in news:470651e7$0$16470$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Is the /shaft/ wiggling?

Is the rotor aftermarket?

Reply to
Tegger

No, shaft is solid. Yes, it is aftermarket. Having my wife go to the dealer today to get one. I thought I saw at some point over the years that there were 2 different distributors. Guessing maybe I got the rotor for the one I don't have and the shaft is smaller. I'll let you know what I find out tonight with an OEM one. Thanks for the reply!

Reply to
Brian

Was the aftermarket Rotor ... What a difference in rotors too!

It is still making a whining noise but not constantly. I am pretty sure it is coming from the distributor. Could it be distributor bearings? Accord has 254K miles on it.

Reply to
Brian

"Brian" wrote in news:470b68b5$0$19658$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Aftermarket sucks. Only use OEM for ignition components.

How loud is the whining noise? These do have a history of bearing failure. Remove the rotor (and leak cover under that) once more and look for red rust dust.

Reply to
Tegger

I did notice some reddish dust now that you mention it. Wasn't sure about it when I saw it. Is that a sign of bearing failure?

Reply to
Brian

"Brian" wrote in news:470b7408$0$32564$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Sure is. Better replace that distributor quick. Or at least the housing that contains the shaft.

Reply to
Tegger

Got my new distributor today. Any trick to installing it? Timing, alignment?

Reply to
Brian

Nevermind. Made note of rotor location when taking the old out and installed the new the same. Once again, runs like a Honda! Thanks a bunch for the info Tegger!

Reply to
Brian

"Brian" wrote in news:47193c09$0$15412$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Two thumbs up!