92 Accord Engine High Speed Hesitation Problem

Looking for some advice on a small problem I'm having with a 92 Accord, automatic transmission with 156K miles. Everything on the engine is original except for the distributor. Excluding plugs and filters of course.

When driving on the freeway anywhere between 65 and 75 miles an hour and at a constant speed, when depressing the accelerator slightly the engine will start to buck or accelerate roughly. Sorry, it's hard to explain. If I accelerate faster it doesn't seem to do it. This doesn't happen all the time either. It doesn't happen at slower speeds or when accelerating from a stop no matter how hard. Otherwise the car runs fine. Not burning any oil and my gas mileage is pretty much the same as the day I got the car.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be?

Thanks

Reply to
Face

Could it be one of your wires grounding out?

Reply to
Paul Reis

I am not sure that this will solve your problem but it's worth a try. Adjust the timing. In addition, add a bottle of fuel system cleaner to a full tank of gasoline. I'm guessing that the timing or a clogged or partially clogged injector might be part of the problem. Even if I am wrong, these two suggestions are not expensive.

Reply to
Jason

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check the timing. I've never done it on this car but I've done it hundreds of times on others. Come to think of it the last car I did was a 73 Olds Cutlass. I thought that the timing was adjusted automatically by the computer.

As for the fuel system cleaner I just put some in right before this started. It was Techron.

Reply to
Face

I would think it's possible. I take the car in for all of its scheduled service and when I remember I as ask about the plug wires and they keep telling me that they don't need replaced unless there is a problem. You would think there would be a replacement interval on them.

Reply to
Face

Be sure the throttle body is clean. There are also some passage ways in the air intake area just before the injectors that can be cleaned out. They are plugged at the factory after casting the part, but the plugs can be drilled out, and the holes can be taped and small bolts installed after cleaning. I doubt the wires are the trouble. They generally show trouble at full load, like accelerating up hill. bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

The EGR plugs are available over the counter at the dealer, for cheap. A slide hammer works quite well for removal.

Reply to
Steve Bigelow

Did you try to download any codes out of the ECU? What kind of plugs are you running? I would check them even if they are fairly new.

Reply to
duckbill

can you describe this process for me? i'm looking at doing this for my civic and want to know from someone that's done it before.

Reply to
jim beam

Drill a wee hole almost through the plug, screw in the hammer, bang them out. Clean out everything you can see with carb cleaner and small picks/drill bits, and tap in the new plugs. I used drill bits as a drift to set the new plugs.

Reply to
Steve Bigelow

Reply to
Steve Bigelow

wow! totally awesome pdf. don't think that'll work for the civic - different porting/valve assembly from what i can see, but i'll check again. thanks steve!

Reply to
jim beam

Regardless of what they told you--they should be replaced at least after

100,000 miles. Some mechanics replace them after 50,000 miles even if they appear to be in perfect shape. I have about 62,000 miles on my Accord and plan to replace them the next time that a tune-up is done.
Reply to
Jason

I had the exact same symptoms on an 86 CRX. I always thought it was in the injection system, since it happened at part throttle, but I could not get anyone to take it seriously. Never did solve it- finally traded it in on a

94 Acura Integra.
Reply to
Bob Burns

Bob,

This is why I brought it up here. I fear that if I take it to the dealer and try to explain to them what it's doing they'll say ok, keep the car all day and then say it didn't do it or that they can't find anything wrong with it.

Reply to
Face

Not yet. I don't have a code scanner if in fact you need one or know how to get the codes. In fact I don't even know if the dealer checks for codes while the car is in for scheduled maintenance.

The car has stock plugs in it. NGK. They were replaced at 150K.

Reply to
Face

I wonder what a new set costs. My guess is around $100.

Reply to
Face

Bob, no problems when accelerating up hill. I've been trying to pay more attention to what's going, looking for patterns I mean. It might be occurring more when it's warmer out.

Reply to
Face

"Face" wrote: > Looking for some advice on a small problem I'm having with a > 92 Accord, > automatic transmission with 156K miles. Everything on the > engine is > original except for the distributor. Excluding plugs and > filters of > course. > > When driving on the freeway anywhere between 65 and 75 miles > an hour and > at a constant speed, when depressing the accelerator slightly > the engine > will start to buck or accelerate roughly. Sorry, it's hard to > explain. > If I accelerate faster it doesn't seem to do it. This doesn't > happen > all the time either. It doesn't happen at slower speeds or > when > accelerating from a stop no matter how hard. Otherwise the > car runs > fine. Not burning any oil and my gas mileage is pretty much > the same as > the day I got the car. > > Any thoughts on what the problem might be? > > Thanks

I know this is OLD, but I was wondering if you ever found out what the problem was? I am having the same issue with mine. Thanks for your help/

Reply to
brsexton