92 Accord Help needed with AC problem

R-12 system - no cooling left anymore for over a year. Local mechanic estimates over a grand to "rebuild and seal" faulty components.

WTF!, this is a 1972 that runs great, except for the AC, and I'm temporarily unemployed, and don't have that kind of money to invest!

I'm OK with tuneups and brakes , but unfamiliar with air conditioning. Can anyone help, please.

Thanks, for any suggestions. Pat

Reply to
Gordito

That sounds like a "reasonable" price.

If A/C systems aren't used regularly the seals dry out and leaks develop, allowing the refrigerant to escape. Compressors sieze and need to be replaced.

Reply to
Brian Smith

The days of cheap A/C repairs are past, I'm afraid. Regulations covering refrigerants have put an end to them. Here in the US (and other places that signed the Montreal treaty I expect) it is illegal to fill a leaky system.

I drove in Phoenix for years without A/C, including the day the temperature hit 122F (50C). It can be done but be sure to keep water handy.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

ah, the old 4/80 a/c solution!!