92 accord R window leak-HELP

--------------96C543F59C5E629E5BA829EA Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Back to the 92 Accord LX Coupe window leak woes:
I have found one of the trunk leaks-the taillight would fill up with water and when it got 1/2 full it would leak into the trunk. Fixed.
I still have a leak on the antenna side. If you stick your head next to the antenna and look up, over the wheel arch, you can see it dripping during a rainstorm. It leaks at a spot 16 inches forward of the antenna. From a curved stamping area that appears to be the windshield recess.
It also leaks on the right side. This leak drips from the stiffening cross member just to the right of the trunk hinge arm. Right in line with the upholstery that separates the fender from the trunk area.
I had the window resealed at a glass shop. since they knew the problem was a leak they used a "double bead of urethane" Still leaks. Glass guy says it can't be the window because, the glass just glues into the car and the seal is effected by the glue between the glass and the sheetmetal. Sounds logical. I pulled out a lot of the interior and cannot find the leak. finally I began silver taping off the seams one at a time. I did the two roof seams-no change. Then I decided to tape over the whole window surround. That seems to be it because I got one-andone only-drop leaking from the curved part during the last rainstorm. (I go out at night and climb into the trunk from the passenger compartment with a flashlight)
Now here's the dilemma. The glass guy is willing to R and R the glass again if I buy a new gasket. OK. I asked the Honda store to order me a gasket. The ordered me a part called a "window dam"($30.) It looks like a foam piece of weatherstrip, pre glued on one side, with about a 1 inch by 1/4 inch square piece of hard rubber on the end. It looks like any old piece of self adhesive foam weatherstrip you might buy at Home Depot. The exterior moulding-which is what I thought I was going to get and which looks like the gasket in your refrigerator door, comes in three parts, has the chrome attached and will cost about $250.
Now I really am believing the guy when he says it can't be the window leaking. It seams to be that even if you did not have the moulding there AT ALL, the rain would just run down the outside of the body, next to the glass and land on the lip of the trunk opening and then drain down that lip to thearea over the tail light and off the car. But there must be a body seam under that moulding that is letting the water in. You cannot see the leak from inside the car even after having removed the interior upholstery around the window so the water must be travelling inside a doubled panel otherwise, you could see it.
So what do you think? Should I spend the $250 on the moulding and let him put it in?
This is torturing me because I have the awful feeling that if I could get in there and see where the body seam is I could fix this with 10 cents worth of silicone.
By the way, my wifes 93 Accord 4 door also has these leaks to a lesser degree. It must be some kind of a design flaw. Check you Honda nexttime it rains. Be aware that the leak may be coming down inside the trunk upholstery where the electric antenna lives. I only found this because I needed to replace the antenna.
regards.
--------------96C543F59C5E629E5BA829EA Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------96C543F59C5E629E5BA829EA--
.... wrote:

the body just to see of the leak stops.     I put a rubber antenna on my '92 many years ago. The car lives outside, and I don't have any water leaks. I have RUST,and the windshield cracked at the left top edge, but no leaks. bob
--------------560D27FD5EA2391ADB1F8849 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
"N.E.Ohio Bob" wrote:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Hahha. I had the same rust and crack in the windshield on the upper left. But it also leaked. The water, I think, got in the edge and froze and cracked the glass. I had the same glass guy replace the window-perfect- and front leak gone. Had I known how cheap it was to replace the window I would have done it sooner ($200)
regards.
--------------560D27FD5EA2391ADB1F8849 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------560D27FD5EA2391ADB1F8849--