92 automatic transmission controller

My 92 Accord LX sedan auto transmission (the standard one not the fancier version) will not shift out of 2nd gear (for a while it was staying in 3rd gear). Reverse works fine. The dash lights show multiple lights at the same time, usually the 4th gear indicator is on along with the one you are shifted into. For example when first turning it on the park and 4th gear lights are both on. Fluid is pretty new (Honda fluid). This is the third time this has happened over the last year but the first time it has not fixed itself in a couple of days.

I'm told it is probably the computer. Is this likely and if it is where is it located. I called a junkyard and they will sell me one for $20.00 but I have to dig it out myself. Is it worth the effort to try to swap the computer out without professional on-site diagnostics to confirm what the problem is?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Honda Rescuer

------------------------------------- Try

for your exploded view diagrams (if they go back that far). $20 would be a great cheap fix, and a small loss if not.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

I have a 91 Accord that was in a foot deep puddle and I ended up frying the computer. Thanks to the folks on this board, I was able to replace it with a junk yard computer for $60. Honda wanted $951.

The main computer, which I fried, and the AT computer, are both located under the floor where the front passenger feet rest if extended forward. It's where the floor rises up. Pull up the carpet, and you need to unbolt the metal plate; both computers are on the back of that plate. They're metal boxes about eight inches by eight inches, and maybe two inches deep. They're each connected to the wiring harness by two or three connectors.

The AT one is the one closer to the driver side as I recall. They aren't really easy to get out and I had to buy a deep socket set because the nuts are tough to reach. The screws project about 1.5 inches and only a deep socket could get them. I think they're 10mm. But after 1 1/2 hours of cursing, I was able to plug in the junkyard one and the car started right up. Of course, I still had to throw about 50 lbs of cat litter onto the floor to dry out the carpets but that's likely not something that you'll need to do.

I have no idea if this will cure the problem, but all you're out is an hour or two of work and $20 if not.

Reply to
dgk

It could also be one of the sensors in the engine compartment such as the throttle position or engine temperature. Fold back the carpet as mentioned in other messages. That will expose the LED fault indicator. (The little carpet flap covers the LED indicator for the engine computer. You must pull back the carpet to see the transmission computer LED.) When you first turn on the ignition switch (you don't actually have to start the engine), do either of the lamps flash? If they do, count the flashes. That will tell you where the problem lies or at least where the computer thinks the problem lies.

-- Chuck

Reply to
Charles

I dug the old AT controller out of my Honda and headed to the salvage yard where I found a used one for $30.00. I plugged it in and even though it was from a 93 Accord instead of a 92, it works great. Thanks for everyone's help. ..Dan

Reply to
Honda Rescuer via CarKB.com