'92 Civic A/C compressor

The dealer say that my A/C compressor is burned-up and they want to charge $1,000 bucks to fix it.

  1. Is this easy to fix, because a compressor at the parts store is only 0?
  2. Can I use the clutch from the old compressor? If so, the new compressor would be even less. Is the clutch easy to remove?

Thanks,

--Al

Reply to
Al Davis

new compressor with clutch is $475 rebuilt with clutch is $310 you also need to fluch the system and a new drier $33

a new belt is a good idea too

I'm Right

I'm Right wrote: a new drier $33

Take the drier off and put it in a warm oven for thirty minutes. It will be good as new. bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

Don't bother with the old clutch. They have about the same life expectancy as the compressor.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Are remanufactured compressors any good?

Reply to
Al Davis

wrong answer el bob-o

ya BUY a NEW drier the old one is contaminated. and the compressor is NOT warrantied at all without a new drier

you are too dangerous and wreckless to be giv> a new drier $33

Reply to
I'm Right

like anything else....maybe

if its the cheapest maybe not

autozone and the other parts stores may have some OK rebuilts, but many like the GM A6 and R4 are just REPAINTED!

the less common comp like honduhs may be OK.

Reply to
I'm Right

If you are a good shop with all the proper equipment then its a easy job. Your paying for a warranty primarily, the guarantee that if the new compressor fails than the shop can afford to do the job again without any extra cost to you. A large compressor remanufacturing place said it takes 3 compressors to clean out a system. can you afford to buy three compressors? This same shop was once boxing new compressors as reman's (Due to some supply or contract law) and the "reman" ones were coming back at a high rate; the shops saving money by going the reman route weren't cleaning out the system well enough (if at all)

1000 is a lot of money, bur can you afford to do it several times on your own?
Reply to
Steve

I don't really have enough experience with them to say. Rebuilt alternators and starters are the pits; rebuilt water pumps seem to be okay (although I had one fail in just one day), so anybody's guess is as good as mine on that part. I've had a horrifically expensive experience with rebuilt injectors in my Volvo. ($900 - mainly for an entire day of troubleshooting at the dealer. The injectors flow tested perfectly but the engine wouldn't run right with them.)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee