92 Honda Civiv DX/ starter works with direct power??

I have a 92 Honda Civiv DX manual transmission.
I went to start the car and noticed the starter would not turn over.
1. I check with a test light the wire that sends power to the starter.
It was not send anything when you turn the key. 2. I attached a wired to that place on the starter that accepts the power and did a direct connect to the batteries positive pole and the starter turns over.
What next? What could be wrong? I assume that the next things that might be wrong is something on the clutch pedal or within the ignition? Any suggestions on what to check and how to check it?
Lex
|| wrote:

I don't have a schematic to a 92 civic but only a 94 -- suspect it is similar. It has a an interlock switch on the clutch pedal that closes an interlock relay. The relay contacts are in basically series with the ignition switch 'start' position. The other side of the relay's contact goes to the starter relay.
I'd check the pedal first. You should see 12V across the interlock switch with the clutch released. When pressed, this voltage should go to ground. If you don't, make sure one side of the switch is grounded. Else, make sure the interlock relay is ok and 12V is getting to one side of it.
Remco
Remco
Remco wrote:

After-market alarms often come with starter inhibit. This is simply a relay that is put in series with either the clutch switch or the starter interlock relay. If your car has an alarm, you might want to check the alarm and related wiring.
A very modest collection of Honda tech info can be found at:
Randolph,
I current do not have an alarm. I recent acquired the car and did not notice an alarm. They did do lots of other modifictions like adding a sun roof and power windows to this DX.
Lex

starter.
ignition?
Randolph,
I think this is your site http://www.geocities.com/ng_randolph This is a great contribution to the online knowledge pool, thanks. I wish more site had photos like this. I will do a primer soon on something with the honda.
Lex

starter.
ignition?
What tool do I use to check the voltage. Is their an image of this online? Is it on the pedal?

|| wrote:

A volt meter. You could get a cheapy at Radio Shack or Sears. You could also get a voltage finder -- basically a large pen looking device having lights and a wire on one end.
Sorry, but I assumed you have some basic electrical skills. If this is beyond what you feel comfortable with, you may want to ask someone else to do it. (there's no shame in asking a friend for help).