92 Prelude Alternator Belt

Hello, I am wanting to replace the alternator belt on a 1992 Honda prelude. The old one broke off. Well, I need a procedure to do it, please. I wonder if you need to remove the power steering belt to install the alt. belt ? Does anyone have a procedure for me to follow? thanks for considerations, bill

Reply to
Fathergoose

Bill-- it doesn't sound like you've got much in the way of mechanical comprehension if you can't tell just by looking at it. If the PS belt is in front, you do, if it's behind-- you don't.

Are you really sure you want to tackle this yourself?? It's a cheap repair and most any shop can do it for you.

Reply to
Rick Blaine

thanks for the reply. I am sure I could do it if I had a procedure to follow...but I thank you for the response. Since it is in front, as you say, it will have to come off. Sometimes with different bolts to loosen from mfg to mfg it helps to have diagrams to follow. thanks again for giving me an answer. bill

Reply to
Fathergoose

"Fathergoose" wrote in news:rPdki.33689$sq4.26459@trnddc05:

If the Accord-based '92 Prelude is the same as the '91 Accord and Accord-based Legend, the alternator is loosened and tightened in a slightly different way from Civic-based cars.

See here for a diagram.

Reply to
Tegger

===================== Yea, that is what I thought by looking at it, I have never worked on foreign autos..so I wanted to ask before I dove in. Thanks bill

Reply to
Fathergoose

nothing to be afraid of! the decimal system works great and everything else is better designed/made.

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:lpadnS0wN8E_dQ_bnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Well it works better than the elevenimal system they use in deepest darkest Borneo.

Reply to
Tegger

and the 16imal, 32imal, 64imal, and all the other fractional b.s. we use here. made no sense to me as a kid. makes no sense to me now.

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:jrudnfwGUu24dg_bnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

You will be glad to know I have chopped off all my fingers and toes...except for both index fingers. I am grimly and painfully binary now.

All I am now capable of is ones and zeroes. This also makes it very difficult to give a cop the finger while driving by, as I once did in my early '20s. I didn't get a ticket for that one, although I did have to sit through a rather lengthy and boring roadside lecture after he caught up to me and pulled me over.

Reply to
Tegger

But I can't seem to find a 1 cm drive for my metric sockets!

Reply to
Michael Pardee

trust me, if they were made, i'd have one!

Reply to
jim beam

I think that's where the English system went wrong. The base 12 relationship between feet and inches was great, but why it was abandoned below the inch escapes me. For consistency there should have been another unit equal to

1/12 inch, called something like a smidge, and another equal to 1/12 of a smidge... maybe a weensey. Distances are often naturally divided by 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6; base 12 accomodates four of those five divisions. Base ten accomodates only 2.

Darn the Romans for spreading the base ten number system! Darn the French for deciding to build on that mistake! Darn the Martians for their base 3 number system... oops - Ray Bradbury wanted me to keep that a secret.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news:58CdnXrQvZMhlQ7bnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

I love the English measurement system. It is so utterly crackpot, so completely illogical, it fits perfectly with the way humans think to begin with.

Actually, most of the world population's indigenous measurement systems were very similar to Imperial.

Hey, anybody remember how the original British monetary system worked? Even more fun! :)

Reply to
Tegger

=============================================== Thanks for the help. I got the belts changed with the help of the pictorial PDF picture jump starting me. It was not exactly but close enough for me to get it. Thanks, Tegger for taking the time to help me. Funny thing though, after getting the belts on we discovered what made the alternator belt break! The A/C clutch bearings are going bad and it has evidently seized up once before and caused the belt to break. So we are going to take a piece of string and measure the length of the main crank and the alternator without the A/C in the loop and put it on by-passing and thus solving the problem.

thanks again, Tegger.....have a great week-end where ever you are! Bill.....in WV

Reply to
Fathergoose

"Fathergoose" wrote in news:jI2mi.3621$7R4.2790@trndny09:

Congrats on the fix.

Bypassing the A/C compressor is a good idea, but are you sure it's the clutch and not the A/C idler? The A/C idler is a know weak point with certain models.

Reply to
Tegger

the belt used in a non-a/c model accord should do it.

Reply to
jim beam