93 Accord SE Thermostat

Sorry for the double post but I just learned about cross posting in another group. Hey, I'm learning here!

Thanks Dave and Tegger!

Does anyone know the correct temperature thermostat for this car? Just bought it and it never got up to temp. Checked the thermostat and there isnt one. Somebody took it out. The info I am seeing on the web is confusing. There appears to be 3 different thermostats, 170deg, 180deg and

192deg. Which one is right? It is an F22A6 engine code.

I also just learned, I think, that thermostats are sometimes rated differently. Some by opening temp and others by full open temp.

Now I'm COMPLETELY confused.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

In general, the hotter the better. Fuel efficiency and even engine cooling benefit from a hotter thermostat.

The big limitation is usually whether the engine "pings" (detonates) under load with the gas you use. For that reason the 192 might be a bit aggressive and I'd go with the 180. 170s are mostly sold to people who are having overheating problems and think (incorrectly) a cooler thermostat will help.

My experience with a thermostat that jammed suggests they probably open very little in normal use. The car was a 1970 Volvo; I had to use the choke in the winter even when it should have been warmed up. Turned out the thermostat was jammed open about 1 mm and would not budge in boiling water. (Say - did you know some wives get mad when you use their cooking pans to test thermostats? Strange but true!)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

-----------------------------------

Bad news. Aside from running an engine without any oil in it, the next worst thing you can do to a Honda is running it without a thermostat. If you still have a chance to return it, you should.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

"Glenn" wrote in news:bOF4h.4437$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Your car takes a thermostat that *begins* to open at 170F (78C) and is *fully* open at 190F (90C).

Such a thermostat will have "78º C" written on it.

Buy a dealer thermostat. For $30 it isn't worth the hassles of running inot a poor-quality aftermarket unit.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"Glenn" wrote in news:bOF4h.4437$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Somebody took it out because he was having overheating problems! Put a dealer 'stat back in and watch that gauge!

Luckily, most overheating problems are easily solved (and maybe expensive).

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Previous owner replaced head gasket a while back. Probably took out thermostat in a vain attempt to fix the overheating problem.

Thanks for the help. BTW, the dealer t-stat was $16. Only a couple more than the AutoZone one.

Reply to
Glenn