'93 Accord turns over, will not start

My '93 accord with 115k miles has developed a problem recently. It began gradually, one morning I went to start it and it turned over but would not continue to run. This has been an extremely dependable car, so I was surprised. I managed to get it to start after multiple attempts, and it died at a stoplight 20 minutes later. It restarted successfully and I got it home fine. Since then I've noticed the following. The clock on the dash now flickers on and off. (It has started a couple times since the initial problem, but it's dead now)

With the key in the ON position:

- the fuel pump buzzes (i.e. works normally) for a few seconds and stops.

- I have no "test run" of my dash lights. Normally they're supposed to come on for a few seconds and go off, except for oil pressure obviously.

- When I put my foot on the brake, the shift lock solenoid doesn't click. I can't take it out of park unless I use the backup key thingy next to the gear shift.

However, when I turn the key just past ON, towards START, I get all the dashboard lights.

I'm pretty sure it's not a fuel problem. My wife noticed white smoke after I pumped the crap out of it just to see if fuel was an issue.

I have a Haynes repair manual and have been through the electrical section, I think I may have a bad ground, or some sort of power control module. I need to get this thing running SOON and I can't afford to drop $50 - $200 only to find out my assumptions were wrong.

Reply to
djaxn

"djaxn" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

That last one sure sounds like the ignition switch!

TeGGeR®

You were right, though I had to stare at the steering column with manual in hand before I understood the difference between the actual switch and the lock assembly. Anyway, I got a new one , popped it in the jack and turned it with a screwdriver and it fired right up. Thanks a lot for the help, no doubt you saved me a couple hundred buck from paying someone to fix it.

Reply to
djaxn