93 civic cx auto transmission

Hi all, I have a 93 civic cx hatch, 180000km, but every time I decelerate from a speed above 40-60km/h, it will always jerk between the switch of gears from 3ird to 2nd at about 30km/h. Whether I decelerate very very slowly or almost slam the brakes, once it's at about 30km/h it will always jerk.

Also, if going lets say about 60km/h, than put car in neutral, wait a second or 2, and re-engage into the Drive position, it will jerk and put itself into 3ird and then into 4th which is overdrive i think. So why does it not go into

4th so that it's smoother, than downshift into 3ird should more power be needed. All cars I know will always keep the higher gear unless power is needed.

I tried al sorts of tranny oil additives. no change. Did a full tranny fluid

  • filter change, still no change. Could it be a solenoid or something. Speeding up across the gears seems all fine. any ideas????
Reply to
té qui

you posted this question back on may 18. answer remains the same. stop using non-honda oil. you did not change the filter unless you removed the transmission from the car & stripped it down.

Reply to
jim beam

Sorry for the double post, I never saw my original post , and never saw any replies. Have no clue why. Might be outlook bug. For the car, well the oil change was made by honda dealer just like regular engine oil changes are made by them. When I asked a tranny oil change, I figured the tranny oil filter was also changed. So I could still have a blocked filter if that would be the case?

Reply to
té qui

ok.

first, the jerking you feel is the transmission downshift to provide engine braking. it's a good feature, if it's not too fierce.

second, oil additives change the properties of the oil, meaning that it's probably not in spec for your transmission any more. most additives are sold to stop leaks & suck a few more miles out of a failing transmission by making the oil "stickier". in a honda, this will make the clutches too sharp and the seals could ruin because they might swell to much and wear out.

bottom line, change the oil out asap and stick with just the honda fluid only - no additives.

and if your dealer is charging you for changing the transmission filter, report them to your local better business bureau. the filter is /not/ changable without stripping down the transmission.

also check the state of the motor mounts. it's not uncommon for the main rear mount rubber to fatigue & break on the automatics. when it does, the shift is very lurchy.

Reply to
jim beam

i'll look into that. Transmission oil has already been changed not too long ago by Honda themselves. I'll look into the other suggestions as well. Thanks for the info.

Reply to
té qui