93 Civic LSi clutch squeak / creak

I have a 93 UK Civic LSi and the clutch has a 'dry creak' exactly the same as this video -
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PNfp83Od_c4
. I think it's coming from inside the clutch housing itself, not the slave
cylinder. I've sprayed all over the slave cylinder push rod end with WD40 and stuff and it makes no difference.
Am I right in thinking it's the clutch release bearing - is there any way of lubricating it without taking the clutch apart or getting any lubricant on the clutch plates?
Cheers.

Don't spray WD-40 around there. That's a recipe for disaster and will do no good at all.
Your noise is coming from the pivot ball inside the bellhousing.
Unbolt the slave cylinder and move it aside as much as the line allows (remove entirely if necessary). Remove the boot that covers where the release arm goes into the bellhousing. At this point it is possible to push the release fork towards the timing belt end of the engine. DO NOT REMOVE THE FORK or allow it to move outwards!
Arm yourself with an aerosol can of white grease with a nozzle hose. Using a mirror and a strong light, try to see where the ball is. It's about two inches inside the release fork hole, on the side AWAY from the timing belt. Push the release arm forwards, away from the ball, and CAREFULLY spray the white grease onto the ball. You need very little grease.
Make 100% certain the nozzle hose of your spray can is aimed in line with the release arm, so it blocks any grease from reaching the clutch friction disc. Hold the spray can upside down to gain more room to work, but "prime" the can first by spraying it into the air to make sure it works.
Before you button up in there, make sure the fork is still pivoting properly on the ball. It's possible for it to get cocked on an angle and not be sitting squarely on the ball.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

On reflection...
If it is possible to reach in and touch the ball, it would be safer and more effective to put some grease on your finger, then wipe that onto the ball.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Thanks for the advice - I also have the workshop manual and I can see the pivot ball you are talking about... also talks about putting "Molybdenum Disulfide" lubricant on it ;-) Don't know when I'll do the work, the slave cylinder bolts are pretty rusty... will post when I do though!

That stuff is distressingly expensive. White grease isn't as good, but should work for quite a while.

Updtaes are always nice.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
in

Well I got some white grease, look the slave cylinder and did what you said and it seems to have done the trick for now ;-) Hopefully the creak won't come back. Thanks!

Yay!
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Hi all,
My 2001 Honda Civic Si (UK) has been making the exact same noise for a month or so now. I won't be able to get it looked at for a while, so assuming it's the same problem, what are the ramifications of leaving it unfixed? Is it dangerous or just annoying?
Any advice appreciated.
Cheers, Tom.

Actually, scrub that. I thought we were looking at a different video... My creaking is exactly like the one here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctjGLwuvyzM

I tried contacting the guy who posted it to see if he managed to get it sorted but no reply. If anyone has any ideas please let me know via the newsgroup.
Cheers, Tom.

Is this more of a rubbing noise? Like plastic on rubber or something? My ears are very poor, so I have trouble sorting sounds from each other.
Some Honda models have had problems with the lower steering column cover rubbing on the steering shaft, causing a sort of "squerk" noise. However, I can't find any US-based TSBs for your car on this issue. It would be well worth your time phone your local dealer and ask if there are any TSBs for your car in your market with this noise.
As for whether or not it's dangerous or damaging I can't say, not having any idea if there are known issues with this model that would cause such a noise.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

As I said earlier I fixed this problem on my civic by lubricating with white grease the ball joint on the push arm thing...

In case anyone is wondering, or if someone with the same problem stumbles across this, I took it to a Honda dealer who diagnosed a failed steering rack. The original dealer I bought it from replaced the rack and it's been fine ever since.
Tom.