93 civic lx crankshaft problems

Need Info-my mechanic has told me that the teeth on the crankshaft have worn down. (How many teeth does the crankshaft have?) He suggested it could be fixed by welding the harmonic balancer to the crankshaft but
could not guarantee how long that would last. Has anyone out there had any success with that? Any other suggestions? FYI: I live out in the boonies and usually have to order my parts off the inetrnet.

Does he mean the Woodruff key slot? You can get oversize keys, requiring only some careful filing to get it to fit.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
stlsmith wrote:

the civic has neither. can you describe where he means?
btw, he should not be talking about welding anything - guranteed serious problems. consider getting a second opinion form another mechanic.
To jim beam--I don't have an option of a second opinion given where I live. The mechanic actually suggested a new engine if the crankshaft is damaged. He said that the welding could be done but would not recommend it. I did disservice to the guy by suggesting otherwise. Sorry.
More detail: About two monthes ago I had to have the head gasket replaced (not by my regular mechanic. We were traveling.) Apparently these guys who did the gasket did not put the bolt on the harmonic balancer back tight enough. According to my regualr mechanic, the bolt was on just tight enough to cause the balancer to wooble enough for the belt to eventually fall off. My mechanic show me the balancer and it will have to be replaced based on the damage. He wants to make sure that the crankshaft is not damaged before we replace the balancer. The shaft that the balancer fits on is smooth and he wants to make sure that it is suppose to be smooth before I invest taht much money in the balancer. I have looked for a photo of the crankshaft on the internet to see if I can see any teeth on the shaft with no luck. Hope this helps..
More detail: About two monthes ago I had to have the head gasket replaced (not by my regular mechanic. We were traveling.) Apparently these guys who did the gasket did not put the bolt on the harmonic balancer back tight enough. According to my regualr mechanic, the bolt was on just tight enough to cause the balancer to wooble enough for the belt to eventually fall off. My mechanic show me the balancer and it will have to be replaced based on the damage. He wants to make sure that the crankshaft is not damaged before we replace the balancer. The shaft that the balancer fits on is smooth and he wants to make sure that it is suppose to be smooth before I invest taht much money in the balancer. I have looked for a photo of the crankshaft on the internet to see if I can see any teeth on the shaft with no luck. Hope this helps..
stlsmith wrote:

balancer. if the "tooth" is damaged, like tegger says, you can get an oversize woodruff key which should do the trick. but if the crank is damaged, you need a new engine. used engines are cheap & generaly reliable - *much* sheaper than buying a new crank & replacing it.