93 Civic, no "Lights On Warning Ding" = dead battery

My '93 Civic has no warning telling me that I have left my lights on. I frequently forget and leave them on and in sunlight (normally happens early morning) the dashboard isn't bright enough to see that the lights are still on. I have a roadside assistance service but has anybody come up with an eloquent way to solve this major design flaw...? Ed

Reply to
Ed

One way is to wire a chime (like Radio Shack

in series with a diode and connect it between the parking light wiring and the ignition wiring so if there is voltage on the lights but not on the ignition it will make noise. Don't use anything that draws much more current because the parking light power will bleed into the ignition power. Probably not enough to keep the ignition on, but.... Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Stick a Post-It note on the dash to remind you to turn them off. :-)

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Had the same problem with my Del Sol. Nearly fried the alternator as a result.

My local Canadian Tire store had a headlight chime for about $12. My garage installed it for about $10. Works like a charm.

Dan

(This account is not used for email.)

"Ed" ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) writes:

Reply to
Dan Beaton

Dan, any more info on that product? One of my mechs has not heard of any such thing...?

Thanks. Ed

Reply to
Ed

"Ed" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Pep Boys, AutoZone, Kragen (and Canadian Tire in Canada) ALL sell such accessories.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Thanks Dan, I'll try and track it down. Ed

Reply to
Ed