93 civic steering hard

my '93 hatch /w 250000 km seems to be steering harder to the right then to the left. could it be the rack? ball joints( the lower ones have already been replaced)? any ideas would be appreciated. also, doesn anyone know who makes good braided steel brake lines for this car? thanks.

Reply to
gsl

When were the balljoints replaced? With OEM or High quality replacements? Have you greased them since, are the boots still intact? How about the tie rod ends? Are they dry?

Also, what is the condition of your P/S belt? (it has power steering right?) Fluid level, line condition, etc etc.

gsl wrote:

Reply to
T L via CarKB.com

if it was a belt, or fluid wouldn't it be hard to steer both ways? the lower balljoints were replaced (not oem) less than 50k ago. the upper ball joints haven't been replaced. if they don't have fittings, how am i supposed to grease them?

Reply to
gsl

Your probably right, I didn't see the part about it being hard only 1 way.

To service my balljoints, I pop them using the correct tool (to preserve the boot) and use a grease gun with a needle between the stud and the boot to inject grease in them. You are correct though, they are not designed to be serviced.

Just wondering if you had a premature failure on one of your new balljoints... . I had that happen on my 98 civic.

gsl wrote:

Reply to
T L via CarKB.com

if it's hard one way & not the other, my money's on the rack. pop the steering rack joints and test the knuckles. if they're both free, then it's /definitely/ the rack.

Reply to
jim beam