94 Accord hard shifting

I have a 94 Accord with auto trans. that really jerks hard when shifting gears, especially from 1st to 2nd. Could this be due to worn motor mounts? I ask because if you watch the motor when the other person shifts out of Park into drive the motor seems to move quite a bit. When looking at the front mount the rubber bushing seems to have a lot of space inside it. Would this be a costly repair at the corner garage? I have almost 200,000 on it.Thanks in advance for any info. Mike

Reply to
Michael Goertz

More importantly, when was the tranny last drained and refilled? Has anybody put non-Honda tranny fluid in it?

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

motor mount rubber fatigues and tears. when it's gone, it definitely jerks and bangs about. but that's not the whole story. also affecting shift quality, as curly says, is the correct transmission fluid - it has to be honda to shift properly. then there's other stuff like the quality and age of the oxygen sensor, and tension of the timing belt. i found that an aging aftermarket sensor gives poor shift quality, and so does a loose timing belt - it introduces a lot of flutter into the engine rpm signal the ecu looks at when deciding to shift.

Reply to
jim beam

| transmission fluid - it has to be honda to shift properly Crap, any correct a-t-f ( Dexron I / II / III ) will do : my F20A's present gearbox* works fine with Argent a-t-f, only a lack of a filter ( = a design flaw ) made its predecessor's lock up clutch jam.

If service schedule does not require changing a-t-f filter, then gear box lacks a filter ( like Mitsubishi's ), so a-t-f cannot stay clean.

para 12

1 can [i] use a syringe & hose to suck ( via dipstick's hole ) a few cc fr bottom of sump & see. [ii] fit a filter ( e.g. Mazda 323's petrol filter ) onto the joint ( betw metal pipe & rubber hose ) of either 1 of ATF's cooling pipe. * was slightly noisy when in "neutral", until its a-t-f was cleaned by the filter I fitted.
Reply to
TE Chea