94 Accord LX Exhaust Replacement - Dif Parts for Cal Model?

Hello all. I have a question regarding the exhaust system on my '94 Accord LX. It was sounding loud, so I had my mechanic take a look. The muffler is bad from the catalytic converter back. They quoted me something like $500 to replace those pieces. I don't have an exact quote, since it was over the phone, bundled with a CV boot (axle half shaft replacement) fix. Anyway, they said it was more expensive because it's a California model. Could this be true? I live in Seattle, and my sister bought it new in Alexandria, Virginia! Does anyone know if Honda makes a different exhaust system for the California market?

A friend at work looked online and in less than 30 seconds, saw that you can buy the parts for less than $200, and that it's a piece of cake to change out. Any thoughts on that?

Oh, and I heard that Honda doesn't use stainless steel, so this is why I have this problem with only 96,000 miles. Would the true Honda parts still be better to buy?

Thanks!

Reply to
Richard Minami

Richard, I also live in the PS area and the muffler of my '94 LX was also replaced at around 100 K miles. It's been another 100K since then and the OEM replacement muffler is holding up just fine. It should for your car, too. My car is not a Calif. model though and I don't see why yours should be if it was bought new in Va.

Rudy

Reply to
R. P.