94 civic - rear exhaust joint leak?

I am having a problem with the new exhaust on my 94 4door civic LX - it's a stock replacement walker system.

The rear pivot joint in front of the rear axle leaked a lot, even with a new donut and spring bolts. We ended up using exhaust goo to seal the joint. We also had to toss the springs and bolts in favor of threaded rods - no more exhaust leaks but now we get vibrations since it is a solid connection.

What's the solution? The retailers claims he never had a complaint on that model before. He offered me a replacement donut gasket, but it was exactly the same as the other new one, so I didn't take it. Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

I ended up at Monro muffler - they found that the local parts store supplied Walker main pipe I installed was a little too long past the flange - once they cut it to the proper length and installed a new gasket, it is fine now.

Reply to
Rocky

Thanks for the inputs Rocky......I have just purchased a Walker muffler from Advance Auto with a lifetime warranty. I will match it up against the stock muffler on my daughter's 98 Civic before installation to check for length. The OEM muffler lasted a little over 8 years.

Reply to
duckbill

"duckbill" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

The OEM replacement muffler is one-piece from B-pipe to tailpipe, and comes with a lifetime warranty. you never checked that out, did you? You'll be lucky to get two years out of the Walker.

Aftermarket exhausts are a poor choice unless you need to get the car safetied cheaply before unloading it.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

what is the price of the oem unit? I will be needing an exhaust for my Pilot and if the oem is competitive I would rather not buy Walker again. Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

"Rocky" wrote in news:W0dYg.114$A% snipped-for-privacy@newsfe08.lga:

For your Pilot, eighty bucks. Not kidding.

TeGGeR®

I looked at the Walker Muffler and it indeed looked a little longer than the old Honda one. So, I went to AutoZone and purchased a Maremont OE Replacement Muffler ($100 with lifetime warranty) and it looks identical to the Honda OEM to include mountings. I became concerned because I did not realize the connection between the B Pipe and the Muffler had a flex joint. All three mufflers are one piece, but the AutoZone one is a dead ringer for a Honda Muffler. It installed very easily (.5 hour job). The Walker goes back to Advance tomorrow. Rocky, thanks again, and Tegger you really made me look at the Walker with a much more critical eye. Thanks.

Reply to
duckbill