94 civic starting problem

Recently had problems my 94 civic dying on me at idle. It advanced to dying on the road. I mean no warning the power to the car was gone. Pulled over and after a few cranks the car started again. Now the car wont start at all. It turns over but dies immediately. I'm mechanically illiterate can someone help???

Reply to
imups88

it could be ignition coil, computer, a relay of some sort......fuel pump.... I would run the codes

Reply to
halo2 guy

Thx can I do that myself and if so how?

Reply to
imups88

It is probably the main relay -- check

to see where to find it and repair it.

Reply to
remco

May only mean anything if your "check engine" light is on, but the procedure and the code meanings are listed in

You'll find the procedure for your 94 Civic on page 15 as numbered on the bottom of the page (pdf page 18 of 56), and the codes in the sections that follow.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

mechanically

Stating that it "probably" is the relay is a little strong, in retrospect. The other suggestions made are just as valid - the main relay is just another possibility.

Follow this link and read the first "crack" condition. It describes basically your symptom.

remco

"imups88" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Does it appear to start then die as soon as you release the key? Main Relay.

Does it seem to catch but never actually fire up? Ignition switch.

Does it die outright while driving, refuse to catch while cranking, but start up fine once it cools down a bit? Igniter or ignition switch

Your symptoms also appear to indicate a fuel or air delivery problem. Dying at idle is associated with low idle speed and a dirty throttle body. Regular and correct maintenance with OEM parts will prevent almost all of these sorts of problems.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Tegger, As usual--great advice. Keep up the great work. Jason

Reply to
Jason