94 civic with squeeky turning

i hear a nasty deep sounding sqeal noise when turning the steering wheel and when going over bumps. i've been told its the ball joint thats out of
grease. it's coming from the driver's side and i'm wondering which ball joint goes bad the most on civics, the upper or lower? i'd like to get it fixed as cheap as possible. i hear the noise from the front fender so i'm thinking it is the upper ball joint. i know my old 1987 civic sedan had the same noise from the driver's side and i never took care of it and eventually sold the car. is it common for the upper ball joint to go bad on civics and make that deep sounding sqeal noise? thanks for your help.
-jeff

Lower ball joint.
Don't delay; fix it today. Or else... http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/lowerballjoint/index.html
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
thanks tegger. they seem more common because auto parts stores stock them. the upper ball joints have to be ordered. thankyou. i'll be getting it fixed.
-jeff

Upper ball joints come as part of the upper control arm assembly. Usually $100+ for this.
Jeff wrote:

the auto parts stores sell them seperate though. maybe they can be replaced without having to buy the control arm.

Its not recommended... even the factory control arm is made of pretty thin steel (aftermarket parts even thinner), very difficult to press in the ball joint without damaging or deforming it.
I did the Ball joint replacement on this control arm a few years ago on my civic. The BJ only lasted 2 years, and then needed to be replaced again...
Aftermarket parts are generally about 1/2 the price of the dealer. Since my autoparts store gave a lifetime warranty on the control arm, and its really easy to do, I decided to go aftermarket on this part.
pop the taper of the upper balljoint, undo 2 bolts under the hood, and its out. Back in within 10 minutes.
Jeff wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote:

Unlikely. Failing CV joints are characterized by clicking sounds when turning.

No. CV joints click, not creak.
If you let them get bad enough, they CLUNK. Loudly. And vibratingly (is that a word?).