94 civic -won't start

OK, replaced plugs, checked timing and timing belt, appears to have spark and plenty of fuel. Pulled pump and cleaned injectors also. Car ran, stalled on highway and stopped....It had been missing a little for a day or two before it failed. Even tried starting fluid.nothing works and I'm lost. Car has 116,000 and seems to have been taken care of. The distributor was loose when I opended the hood, so I'm sure timing is an issue but I tried several placements. WAS surprised to see all the torque on the distributor which is probably why it loosened. Lined up timing TDC and UP mark on cam and distributor rotor points to number 1 cylinder. HELP!!!!

Reply to
Rjh

"Rjh" wrote in news:wF1bi.1984$xg4.190@trnddc08:

There is only ONE correct "placement".

Get a timing light and set it properly.

The distributor is held down by three bolts. If the thing came loose, somebody fooked up during the last service and left the bolts loose. The distributor does NOT EVER come loose when all three bolts are properly tightened.

Once you have the ignition timing set up properly, check for spark at the plugs.

Reply to
Tegger

Ok, cranked engine and checked with timing light..........the problem is it has intermittent spark. Turn distributor and no spark.............guess I'll need to start from the top, bribg number 1 cylinder to TDC, allign can "up" mark and distributor number one..replace timing belt and try again........suggestions????

Reply to
Rjh

Have you removed the cap and checked the rotor? If it is an aftermarket rotor (shudder!) the main part may have separated from the metal sleeve that goes on the distributor shaft. The spark on any given wire becomes intermittent that way, as the rotor plays "spin the bottle." I've seen it once and heard of it once more; it has convinced me to use OEM ignition parts.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks for all your help............things just didn't seem right and started from the top with checking to see that everything is in line as far as timing. Found out when distributor was loose it actually jumped 180 degrees out of time!! BUT the timing belt was original so I changed that also....runns like a champ!!

Reply to
Rjh

"Rjh" wrote in news:Q60ei.2428$AR5.2213@trnddc06:

Excellent!

But the distributor cannot jump 180. The slot is offset from the rotation axis, so the distributor can only go on the camshaft one way. Somebody probably rotated the engine when the distributor was off.

Reply to
Tegger

that wouldn't do it. 180 on the cam is 360 on the crank. only way it can be 180 out is if the timing belt's set wrong after the change.

Reply to
jim beam