94 Integra burst A/C suction hose question

There's somebody I've been corresponding with via private email. I am unable to help him because I don't know much about air conditioning.

Hoping somebody here can help.

His plight is below:

----------------------------

"1994 integra LS 3 dr 234,000 MILES still purrs! 12 years old!!! Last August had the A/C high side pressure switch replaced and system recharged! Ice cold air until last Friday. All of a sudden I noticed "uncooled air" coming out of vents.....THEN.... Turning A/C switch on and off a few times.....had a burst of freon come through the "suction hose. (This is the hose coming from compressor to the recharging intake valve marked by an L....) It is a low pressure hose. It split the rubber housing exposing the braided hose underneath near the crimped part! I can replace this hose and recharge but does anyone have any knowledge if something MORE substantial might have happened with the compressor to cause this pressure burst? The suction hose is $117.00 and I would hate to repair and recharge system only to find out it was something MORE involved!!"

---------------------

Any ideas?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I think it is a good risk. The sudden loss of pressure would have shut down the compressor immediately, and a burst hose is not unheard of. For it to fail a week after service is also not unusual because the system pressures are typically higher - I've had a couple of compressor clutches fail a few days after service.

What I don't understand is the loss of cooling *before* the hose burst. That is a question to ask a real expert before proceeding. If there is a question of blockage that changes the picture.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Very strange the suction hose would burst... more likely it had a weak-spot defect or was mechanically damaged. I think you should spend the money and replace it. I think there's a good chance that was the only failure.

Professor

Professor