95 Civic - 1.5L - how to do head gasket?

I can buy a 95 civic 4 door LX for under $600 U.S. 170k miles.
It has some left rear end damage too, but otherwise the a/c 5spd motor worked well.
The ower said to expect 30mpg in mixed driving.
Is this project work it - I see others needing head gasket for $1500+ same mileage, better bodies.