95 Civic LX Intake Air Temperature Sensor

Hi...

Can any one please tell me whether a bad Intake Air Temperature Sensor (IAT) or a bad TW (Coolant Temperature sensor, or Water Temperature Sensor) will cause the engine not to fire up?

I've read that these two sensors can affect injector pulse width? It seems that I'm getting too much fuel into the combustion chambers, thus after a few cranks of the engine, the combustion chambers are flooded (spark plugs soaking wet with fuel) and the engine won't start. The spark plugs do produce strong sparks. So I'm quite sure it's not an ignition problem. Iit seems like more fuel than necessary is injected

- that's why I'm wondering whether a bad IAT or TW can cause this problem.

Thanks.

Reply to
ucmbt

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

They will have no effect on engine startup.

Is the spark properly timed?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Has anyone bought an Oxygen sensor from this company? They have the best price I've found for a direct replacement on my 94 VX.

Reply to
Mike Doyle

I'm trying to put together a small tool kit. Something to fit in the area above the spare. I'd like to have enough to cover any quick fix situations. I've come up with : Combo screwdriver, my small ratchet & a few sockets (which ones most usable for a Civic?), medium Channellocks.

So, what do the rest of you carry?

Reply to
Mike Doyle

"Mike Doyle" wrote

8 mm, 10 mm, 12 mm, 14 mm, 17 mm.

If you must eliminate two, eliminate the first and last.

Add a medium-sized crescent wrench and small hammer.

Reply to
Elle

My AAA Card ;-)

Reply to
DAB

I see the NTK oxygen sensor for a 94 Civic VX for $80 at this site. But I don't think that's a genuine Honda sensor, and so it's a real roll of the dice.

Try

for OEM sensors at good prices. I have used it for an OEM O2 sensor for my 91 Civic a couple of years ago. Good service. No problems with the sensor.

That VX a California compliant one?

"Mike Doyle" wrote

Reply to
Elle

-------------------------------------

plus: Cotton 'gardening' gloves Forehead flashlight Needle nose pliers Black garbage bag

3' of haywire electrical tape 12 volt 'probe'

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

No, a Kalifornistan sensor is much cheaper!! My red jewel is a Canadian built 48 stater.

This is the one I'm looking at. It has the correct Honda part number. Most sites want $300 + for it.

Mike Doyle

I can't check the ignition timing, since the engine doesn't run. Is there a way to check ignition timing without the engine running? Thanks.

Reply to
ucmbt

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

Yeah, have someone crank while you test. Same as if it was running, but cranking instead. Timing ought to be close to the specified 16deg BTDC.

Another method: Turn engine by hand to TDC compression (#1 valves closed), then remove distributor cap and see if rotor arm is pointing at the #1 terminal on the cap. That will give you an idea whether the timing's horribly off or not.

Are you sure your timing belt hasn't slipped?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

add:

wire cutters and wire strippers.

Reply to
Howard Lester

Mike Doyle wrote in news:f9P9g.881$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

try autohausaz.com I bought a Walker O2S for 78.00 USD with free shipping. Ordered Friday,received Monday,UPS Ground.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Mike Doyle wrote in news:8iP9g.883$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

I bought a $10 metric socket/wrench and magnetic-bit screwdriver set from Big Lots,it works great,except I had to junk and replace the ratchet.It even has a needle-nose pliers.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns97C461E757B91jyanikkuanet@129.250.170.85:

The original was a Denso O2S,the Walker sensor had better insulation on the wires,and the proper OEM connector.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim,

How long has this Walker been in use? Any problems?

Reply to
Mike Doyle

Mike Doyle wrote in news:cf7ag.1188$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

Only 5 days.