95 civic rear bushings

I have replace all of them about 2-3 years ago,all were bought from Honda dealer.I put winter tires on my car and went for alignement and to my surprise i back upper bushing(small one that goes to the body part,about 5" long) is totally worn out,all other are fine.

I'm thinking to replace them all with eurethane ones.Is it worth it?

What are the life expectancy of the OEM ones?

Thanks!

Reply to
Snoop

not unless you enjoy squeaking.

what mileage do you do?

the most important bushing of all is the big one in the lower control arm - make sure that is in good condition.

Reply to
jim beam

I dont like sweeking at all so i'll stay with stock rubber ones,thanks for the info,pretty affordables too.

I do like 10 000km a year.

Do you mean the one in the trailing arm that attaches to the frame(like 2

1/2' in size)?

Thanks!

Reply to
Snoop

------------------------------

I think that indicates they were snugged in place while the vehicle was dangling on a hoist when the bolts were snugged, rather than with weight on the wheels.

Sound right, anybody?

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

"Snoop" wrote in news:fh8mng$qpl$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Did you tighten the bushing bolts with the suspension at its normal resting attitude? If the suspension is not at normal resting attitude when the bolts are tightened, you will place damaging load on the bushings, which will cause rapid failure.

You also have to make sure the bushings aren't binding, but have actually rotated to a settled position. You do that by bouncing the suspension a few times, and driving the car back and forth a few feet, before tightening the bolts.

Squeak, squeak, squeak...

About 15 years, properly installed.

Reply to
Tegger

Thanks Tegger! We learn something new everyday.Should i replace all of them or just loosen the one that are ok and do what you said? Is the same apple to the "big" one in the trailing arm? I have to replace both of them as well(likely 12yo)and they are worn out quite a bit.

Reply to
Snoop

"Snoop" wrote in news:fhac70$do$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

If you've been running around on torqued bushings for a couple of years, they're all likely damaged by this point. Simply repositioning a damaged bushing will not un-damage it.

My advice (not having actually seen the car) would be to replace the entire axle set all at once (the ones you replaced the first time around). Just replacing one bushing might do funny things to your handling.

It's even more important to replace the big rear ones properly. Since they're not solid, but consist of two rubber "posts" extending up and down from the internal sleeve, torquing them will result in both posts fracturing very quickly.

If the two big rear ones are not now actually cracked through, I'd advise leaving them alone. They always develop surface cracks and the rubber softens up considerably, but complete separation is not common.

These are some photos I took of when I did my fronts last year:

and this is how I loaded the bushings before tightening the bolts:

Did my rears the year before that.

The bolts in that case were considerably easier to access with the car on the ground, so there I just drove the car up and down the driveway to settle the bushings, then used long extensions on the torque wrench to snug up the bolts.

I wish now I'd taken more pictures of both operations.

Reply to
Tegger