95 Honda Prelude

I bought a used 95 Prelude with 159,000 miles on it. When I bought it the timing belt, water pump, cam seal, crank seal and two clipter replaced. Thus far I've spent 300.00 on breaks and rotors for the front. I get it home and notice it's leaking about a quarter size amount of oil each morning. I took it in to a mechanic he said that it was filled with excess oil below so he pressure washed the bottom and told me to drive it for a couple of days to see if it continues. 3 days go by and I still see the oil dripping on my cardboad. I took it in again and 2 days later he called me to say its done, he replaced the PCV valve and told me to see if this works any better. I guess the oil was more less falling off in the middle of the engine. Has anyone ever heard of this or had problems simliar to this? I know the car has high miles and it's more less a beater however it's quite depressing to see something leaking so much.

Reply to
doeweb

Sounds like your mechanic is following a more-or-less methodical approach to identify the source of the leak, starting from least expensive to more expensive. Specifically re the PCV valve: If it is old and not working correctly, the crankcase can become overpressurized, forcing oil out seals.

There are other possible causes, too. Make sure the valve cover gasket is not too old. Same for the distributor seals between it and the engine top.

159k miles is not too old for your car. Hang in there and see if the leak can be tracked down.

To help your mechanic, maybe check the oil level (with the car parked on the same surface, same place, every time, about the same temperature, too) regularly in the coming weeks. Report to him/her and here how much oil seems to be leaking via how much the dipstick mark changes.

wrote

Reply to
Elle

Another often easy to fix candidate: Stripped oil pan drain plug.

Who did the cam and crank seal replacement jobs?

You mentioned a "clipter" in your first post. What is this?

Reply to
Elle

what oil do you have in there? i ask because when i got my old 89 civic about 3 years ago, i was using cheapo motorcraft oil and it leaked like a sieve. all the seals were leaking, distributor, cam, and crankshaft, both ends. subsequently i used castrol gtx and after about 2 weeks, it stopped leaking! after i'd bought a seal set too.

moral of the story: oil is cheap. change out to some good stuff and see if that helps.

and 160k on a honda is barely half way there...

Reply to
jim beam