95 Honda Prelude.....Thank You for your Reply.

Thanks to all that replied to my post. ALL the information was very helpful...I am going to park the car and not sell it for now...
Thanks again...

Hello all.
I have a 95 Prelude. When I started moving from a complete stop, my engine quit. I took the car to the dealer. They informed me that timing belt broke. Best case scenario is the timing belt is the only problem at $595.00 repair. Worst case scenario is engine damage and the repair would be $1,795.00. This is what concerns me. The dealer wants me to agree to replacing the belt so he can attempt to start the engine allowing him to determine if additional repairs are needed.
I found this to be suspicious. I am assuming they would be able to determine if some damage has happened to the engine without me spending $595.00. According to the dealer, the starter engages and the engine turns without any unusual noise.
The mechanic has offered me $500 for the car as it sits. He has an engine he could put in the vehicle.
Anyone have any thoughts as to if I am getting ripped off?
Thanks for the advice...