'95 Honda Rafaga (Ascot) ABS problem

Hi all!

Own a '95 Honda Rafaga (aka Ascot) car. About a month ago, right after the winter cold weather hit hard, my Honda's ABS started to work in a somewhat strange manner. While the engine is cold, i.e. after a day or night at open air parking lot, and I start the car, the ABS goes through check ok, the ABS lamp on the dashboard goes off, and ABS system works perfectly, helping me out on our icy roads. But when the engine is warm or hot (after a short stop at groceries, etc.), I start the car, hear the noise of ABS pump building the pressure, but the ABS lamp stays lit, ABS shuts down, and leaves me and my car almost helpless on ice. The question is: what might be the problem of such unusual behavior?

Reply to
Khan

-----------------------------------

While you're able to get it to function (cold days) you need to get the ABS unit drained / refilled, then take it out and EXERCISE the heck out of it on some ice. Then do it again to flush all the crud. A handy guy can DIY. You might want to do the brakes as well if they are due. The '95 is prone to getting bits of contamination in the orifices of the ABS but the newer version (+97) was completely redesigned and it cycles the solenoids during the diagnostic to allow any dirt or corrosion to settle outside the orifices. A few years ago I used google and found a great web site that's about 6 pages long describing all the various versions of ABS that Honda has used. I'll forward it if I can locate it again.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Curly,

Thanks, will try to get some tech guys at car repair to help me out with the procedure.

A few years ago I used google and found a great

Would greatly appreciate forwarded website URL or the info.

Thanks again Khan.

Reply to
Khan

Here's a bit more:

in the document for 'curly' and here's a string of terms to google for: abs accord legend accumulator (you'll get some good hits) 'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

By the way, the site you're looking for says TECH 2 TECH on the top of the page.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_